• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Kawaski Mule wrap - sticker overlay on wrap material?

aerial

QCB
I am an installer, and have to wrap a Kawasaki Mule, full wrap to change color from red to blue. There will be a few logos added. The vehicle is wonky to wrap, and It would make life much easier if I could put on a solid color, and add the logos on top. The vehicle is garage kept. Good idea? The client uses 3M. I never used a color change material, but would that be better than printing a solid color? I believe the client has a PMS color blue. Thanks!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
On some things it's more beneficial to add logos after you wrap, I do it all the time. Plus if the base is just a solid color it gives you the option to just use colored wrap vinyl if it's available in the color you need, and not have to print/ laminate everything. Saves time, money, and even if you have to print for the correct color it eliminates the headaches of getting logos lined up and straight on anything that'll be difficult to.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
If it's a PMS blue, you will probably need to print it unless he's good with a solid color. Honestly those side by sides have such a minimal amount of material, it's easy enough to print the material.

aerial

QCB
Thanks so much for your replies. Made my life easier! I really appreciate this forum and those who take the time to help.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The issue with these is that the vehicle body itself is made of low surface energy plastic, so getting any vinyl to stick well as a full wrap requires a lot of extra prep/work. It can be done, but it can also go badly.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
He said he's an installer, I assume he'd know that, but good point in case he doesn't. :thumb:
We do stripe kits for Mules, and we usually flame treat first when we do the installs, especially on new ones.

aerial

QCB
I have done a few of these, some with large decals, and a partial wrap. I have not had any callbacks. This one is a full wrap, no original color showing. It's going to be a pita with all the deep indentations. I've never needed to flame treat, but thanks for the tip- I'll have to research and adjust my quote.

petepaz

The issue with these is that the vehicle body itself is made of low surface energy plastic, so getting any vinyl to stick well as a full wrap requires a lot of extra prep/work. It can be done, but it can also go badly.
you need to use a high tack vinyl with air aggress/ez apply then you should have no issues other than not being able to reposition the vinyl

aerial

QCB
Think allowing 6 hours for this install reasonable? Full wrap, minus interior of bed. I'm not concerned about speed, but need a fair quote for installation.
0c7b1654-a111-4a0b-99c3-c95816c34bbb.jpg
IMG_3928.jpg