• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ksc (Gerber ION INK $$$)

ksc

ink Price???? We have had our new ion for 2 months now.. The inks are tougher than most any thing... the only thing i cant find out is per sq. ft ink price Gerber says 25 cents ????? any body know????

RoCo

interested in an ION myself. I've been impressed with what I've seen from it so far, and from speaking with people who own one.

Based on the fact that stated print speeds for digital printers are almost always too high vs. actual speeds, my guess is that $.25/sqft is more than likely a little low. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to truly find out, short of your rip having an ink usage calculator.

niksagkram

We just had our Ion installed, last week. In the RIP, there is an ink usage calculator. Our tech activated it somehow, but didn't show me how. Next time he's here (today maybe) I will ask him.

So far, we love our Ion.

Mark

ecoleejr

Ion Ink

I to am looking into the ION. I was told by a couple of people that have them that ink per sq ft ranges from .45 to .65 depending on full coverage or not.

niksagkram

We printed a 4x8 sheet of coroplast yesterday, with 24- 12"x16"s laid out on it, so pretty much full coverage, and (according to the RIP) our total ink cost was $1.44! (our cost for ink is $395.00 per, Canadian)

Not bad

Mspec

if you have a good scale, weigh your box of ink when it is new. Divide the weight by the number of milliliters contained within the box. <lets say a 1L box weighs 1300 grams > then 1 ml ink roughly weighs ~1.3g If you paid $220 for your liter of ink your cost is about $.22 a ml

Weigh all of your inks before and after running 500 sq ft and calculate the cost yourself by dividing the amount of ink used against the sq footage printed, then multiply by your cost per ml.

4 color printing will generally cost you around 30% less per square than 6 color work. Other items that can affect your performance away from whatever your marketing data from Gerber told you will be the number of colors you print with, the rip software you use, the ink limits and restrictions within your media profile, and the accuracy of your color calibrations. All of those items can and will affect the mileage you get out of your ink. Ballpark ink use should be anywhere from around 1 to 2 ml per square @ 100% coverage depending on the variables above.

If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day....

ksc

We print most every thing under 4-pass uni on the sentra settings , dibond seems to scatch easy, Gerber says ink useage is .25 cents per Sq Ft..
we found it to be .50 cents per Sq Ft.. do to 40 hr cleanings etc.,,Dont Buy the clining swabs from gerber @35.00 a bag... buy them stratight from fuller medical supply for about 1/4 the cost on the web. (caution Buy the right ones !!!((buy the 250 count x 2 ea Boxs) if you buy the 500 count box it costs you more...
Gerber says to do the 40 hour clean even if you if you don't Print...Thay just won't you to waste ink and spind more $$$$... i do the 40 hr cleaning onley after we print 40 hours of work...i called gerber about the 40 hr cleanings
we told them we are a small shop and don't print every day and that we would use all the ink just cleaning the heads....Gerber told me to just print a small cmyk file once or twice a week and do alot of nozel outs. (to see if the heads are drying out)
which works out to two to three 40 hr cleanings a month.. (the nozel outs look vary good)
Thanks Dennis KSC shop

niksagkram

Thanks Dennis, thats what we kind of figured. It's good to hear it from somebody who uses the machine.

BTW, what do you pay for inks, if you don't mind me asking? And where do you get them?

Mark

scrmn

Gerber Ion

We just had our Ion installed, last week. In the RIP, there is an ink usage calculator. Our tech activated it somehow, but didn't show me how. Next time he's here (today maybe) I will ask him.

So far, we love our Ion.

Mark

Mark,

After checking out the printers at the Vegas sign show we are looking at the ion.
Any problems/regrets on the ion purchase?
Did ND dicker on the price at all?

Thank,
John

niksagkram

Hi John. Other than a couple of minor hiccups, our Ion has performed as promised, except, it is very difficult to get ½" crezone that is always flat enough to print on. We are currently looking for other options to crezone. Also, make sure you can print a full 10' before they leave. Our flat bed was slightly lower than the roll to roll bed, so the head was rubbing at the end of the print. The tech had to come back and install some shims to raise the bed slightly.

As for price, we purchased a Gerber flatbed cutter at the same time, so we got a "trade show" package price.

Both the printer and cutter were installed at the same time, both guys were here for 5 days, so training went well, mostly.

Sounds like you are in Canada also. (Just noticed you are in Lethbridge LOL)Try to get your inks from south of the border. They are ½ the price from suppliers there. And order swabs direct from Fisher. Wayyyyyy cheaper.

Mark

scrmn

Thanks for the tip on the 10' alignment

We don't use crezon much at all ever since all the alluminum surfaced substrates came out.

Have you tried printing on alumacore?

Where do you source the inks from?
I found http://www.bigsys.com , quite a bit cheaper that ND's 'special price'

John