• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminate thin decal

SLShop

Hey a customer wants small stickers for his car about 20 cm but with freestanding text and laminated I have the problem that my laminate is too thick and it is almost impossible to weed it later we use oracal 215 with oracal 3551 there is possibly a thinner one laminating foil ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You should be able to cut that vinyl and laminate combo just fine. I'd take a look at your blade instead. If the tip is broken off, get a new one. Also, use a higher angle blade and it will cut and weed better.

SLShop

we have already tried it with different knives 45, 60 it cuts cleanly but when weed everything sticks to the printing film
unfortunately we have to print it because the text is multicolored and a huge number of pieces without laminate we have no problems at all but i can't sell it to the customer without it

msenjur

try orafol 293. it is only 30mic thick

then try to mount decal without weeding. Install it, heat it, wait a bit... and then try to weed it...

truckgraphics

It sounds like your problem is that the printed media won't stick to the backing so when you weed it, the letters go a walking in all directions.

If this is the case, what you need is a stickier media along with a thinner overlaminate.

If durability is an issue, go with a sticky cast like 3M IJ170 for printing.

A sticky calendared like Arlon 4500 weeds well too.

For overlaminate, Arlon 3170 is a 1.3 mil cast for calendared vinyl and both Arlon and Avery have super thin, higher quality cast overlaminates. But pretty much any 2 mil cast overlaminate will do. I know 3M reps used to go apoplectic when you told them you used a different overlaminate on their precious material, but I've never noticed a difference.

We print and cut multi-colored logos and lettering regularly.

Use non air release cast cut vinyl, I believe print vinyl comes only with air channels which is harder to weed. You can buy cut vinyl by the metre (or foot) to test it, never had any issue printing itexcept finger prints :)