• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Large Wall Graphic - Application Tape Question

Goatshaver

I have a customer asking for a large wall print. 48" x 40". I'm not printing it as I don't do many large wall graphics and don't keep low tack material on hand. However They'll likely want application tape applied to the front for installation, which I'm not doing. Can I just use the 12" application tape I have and cover it with 4 passes of tape or should I just leave it as is and let the customer figure it out?

I'm really not into buying a $150 roll of application tape for one job.

Identity Graphics

Yes, you can, for sure, but I wouldn't. It is going to be more problematic than not. If they are worried about the application, I typically add a couple of rolled pieces of solid masking tape to the back of the print to keep it in place and use a thick piece of application tape with the masking tape over it to not affect the image and apply it that way. Using the rolled tape on one side helps to keep it in place. Does that make sense?

Goatshaver

Yes, you can, for sure, but I wouldn't. It is going to be more problematic than not. If they are worried about the application, I typically add a couple of rolled pieces of solid masking tape to the back of the print to keep it in place and use a thick piece of application tape with the masking tape over it to not affect the image and apply it that way. Using the rolled tape on one side helps to keep it in place. Does that make sense?
I think I follow you on that. I'm going to be mailing this so I don't think I'll be able to add any rolled tape to the back, but I can definitely give them that as as suggestion when they want to install it.
Just trying to make it as easy for them as possible to apply this on their own.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I would ask whoever is printing the job to weed and mask it for you that way your customer is getting a professional looking decal and don't have to rig up some kind of hokey set up just to install it.

Identity Graphics

100%. I worry with application tape that when they go to take it off after that it is going to be tricky not to pull the whole print down. They will likely have some wiggle room on any repositioning to a small degree too either way. I would suggest if you haven't already to let them know the removability and possible albeit unlikely damage that may occur to the wall is largely based on how the wall was prepared and painted to begin with. I would add a note that you are not responsible for any possible damage that may occur upon removal.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If the print is a solid rectangle then no need for any app tape. The vinyl + laminate is thick enough, just instruct them to use a felt squeegee or wrap one in an old tshirt or felt scrap. If it's contour cut then just add 4 strips of what you have at your shop.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've ordered lots a these from Signs365 and never added application tape as long as they are one big piece. I tell them to use a heat gun or blow dryer after and use their fingers to get the vinyl to conform to the wall texture. So far, I've had very good luck.

Goatshaver

I would ask whoever is printing the job to weed and mask it for you that way your customer is getting a professional looking decal and don't have to rig up some kind of hokey set up just to install it.
It would be Signs365 or Firesprint. Neither do either of those things.

Goatshaver

If the print is a solid rectangle then no need for any app tape. The vinyl + laminate is thick enough, just instruct them to use a felt squeegee or wrap one in an old tshirt or felt scrap. If it's contour cut then just add 4 strips of what you have at your shop.
Hmm it's all one piece and contour cut. Almost a rectangle shape so maybe they'll be fine just like your saying. I just want to make sure they have a good experience with it and not frustrations.

BetaCtz

I'd mask it personally. I can't see someone peeling a 2-3mil vinyl off a backing sheet well enough to know what they're doing.
Just make sure to roll it on a core, and tell them to let it sit out from the packaging for 1/2 a day before they install it.

Walls are pretty forgiving for install. They should be able to bump/burp out any air bubbles.