• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laser speed question

Medina Signs

Old Member
Using a 35 watt Universal Co2
Lasering Duets and Rowmark Laser XT

Issue - Raster engraving seems like it could be a bit faster - vector cuts good enough
Question - What is the relationship between Power, speed and PPI

Can raster up to 1000 PPI

I am rastering at 500 PPI, 50% power and 65% speed

If I increase the speed is it better to increase the PPI or increase the power?

I will experiment of course, but would like to know a good place to start.

Thanks

GB2

Old Member
If you check the manufacturer's websites of the products you are using, they usually will have good information regarding what settings to use and how to best work with their products. Your settings will be very specific to your particular machine and if you really want to know what works then perhaps the best thing to do is to run a sample test sheet like this for each material you are commonly using:
Laser - Raster Engrave Test Sheet.jpg

So, what you do is adjust your settings to correspond to the columns and rows on the chart, you may have to run the test in a couple of passes since you are limited to the number of different settings you can have in one pass. In the end, you should be able to zero in on the most optimal combination of speed and power. By the way, that is only an image, so don't try actually using it, send me your email if you'd like the actual files.

Last edited:

Medina Signs

Old Member
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the info - I have already done notations on different materials and get good results, I was just trying to find a way to push the limits. it was suggested that I run a raster at 100% power and 70% speed with 500 ppi - did a test on Gemini duet xt and raster was not good - left about 20% artifacts.

I will test again at a slightly higher speed and power than 65% power 50% speed just to fine tune - just wondering if the ppi factors into the equation.