• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Latex 315

Claytons

Hi, I'm looking at getting a refurbished hp latex 315 but it doesn't come with any software, what are my options, I'm aware of flexi but what other options do I have.

Thanks

jschaudt

Master of Hats
I'm a fan of Onyx. It can be setup over time with easy defaults to always get the colors, effects, rotation of every other panel and many other simple time saving steps built into the drop down menu default. I have a little less luck with default settings in flexisign pro 21 (subscription based), but it too is not hard to work with. Flexisign is my design software daily driver.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I use Flexi mainly because that's what I started out with. I tried to set up onyx but I had a difficult time transitioning to it.
Flexi does have some disadvantages and sometimes when they do an upgrade it will have a glitch. When they upgraded to Flexi 19 I accidentally found a glitch for them. They corrected it with a patch and later upgraded.

After seeing Jschaudt's comments, I might try giving onyx a go again.

Claytons

Thanks for the replies, I am surprised by the cost of the softwares, I'm new into the wide format world and wasn't expecting that extra expense. I'll look into onyx.

jschaudt

Master of Hats
Onyx is not cheap, in the versions I've purchased. They do have an option called Thrive. I believe it is a mix of online and simple. I was trained on color matching with the Gretag Macbeth colorimeter/spectrometer back in 2002 or so. They taught using Onyx, and it wasn't too bad. The nice part is how little has changed overall while they have made it better all the time. Nothing drastic happened in the version updates. Old could transfer to new.

Flexi, seems to work right out of the box if you have learned their production manager already. Not as detail oriented, but it is great still.

Claytons

would an older version of these softwares still work, Or is it a case of once the updates are out the older versions dont work ?

FrankW

Onyx is not cheap, in the versions I've purchased. They do have an option called Thrive. I believe it is a mix of online and simple.
Thrive is the high-end version of Onyx, with a network licence, web interface (dont work online, every installed thrive is a local webserver) a d lot of other features to subscribe to, for example „Color Check“-process control. Mich more expensive than regular RIP Center or Postershop.

FrankW

Even Flexi, Onyx or for example Aurelon Printfactory are available for rent, for short periods too for testing.

jschaudt

Master of Hats
would an older version of these softwares still work, Or is it a case of once the updates are out the older versions dont work ?
There are older versions of course that run it. One thing to say that might help you choose, older versions don't constantly update. If Pantone keeps adding colors, what will you do? Can you add the proper LAB equivalents and such for it to learn from you? Will you just print CMYK and RGB, Raster or Vector, flattened or effects? The more you need quality of life updates, the more the subscriptions make sense. I agree with FrankW, a short term rental can give you an idea of what it takes, what you can do and what amount of print work you will really be doing.

As someone who has refurbished many printer and resold them, including the same Mimaki across 5 owners who had my phone number, I do say that large up front expenditures can hurt if you don't know your sales ability. I'm glad you went with the 315 over the 115. You will have years of ink available. I tore down our L25500 last year rather than push it off on someone else.

Claytons

There are older versions of course that run it. One thing to say that might help you choose, older versions don't constantly update. If Pantone keeps adding colors, what will you do? Can you add the proper LAB equivalents and such for it to learn from you? Will you just print CMYK and RGB, Raster or Vector, flattened or effects? The more you need quality of life updates, the more the subscriptions make sense. I agree with FrankW, a short term rental can give you an idea of what it takes, what you can do and what amount of print work you will really be doing.

As someone who has refurbished many printer and resold them, including the same Mimaki across 5 owners who had my phone number, I do say that large up front expenditures can hurt if you don't know your sales ability. I'm glad you went with the 315 over the 115. You will have years of ink available. I tore down our L25500 last year rather than push it off on someone else.
Thanks for the advice, I am new to this, I currently make tshirts, vinyl signs and stickers and I just want to make some stickers and banners in the latex, I don't need anything fancy at this stage but I might find I need to upgrade at a later date if all goes well.

mjames

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice, I am new to this, I currently make tshirts, vinyl signs and stickers and I just want to make some stickers and banners in the latex, I don't need anything fancy at this stage but I might find I need to upgrade at a later date if all goes well.
I would suggest FLEXI. It will cost you 59.99 per month.