• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex 360 smoking?!

Commando

Was running some 3M HIP sheeting yesterday. I noticed the printer was smoking and was doing something to the sheeting. Almost like melting it in spots. It has a funny smell and only does it when it is printing.
Everything seems to look fine on the printer. Anyone ever see this?

Commando

It isnt a dark smoke. It is very light. You have to stand at a certain angle to even see it. But its there. And it shouldnt be... lol

Reveal1

Are you sure it isn't steam? With more humid spring weather, might just be excess humidity. We keep hygrometer at printer. Usually more humidity not bad unless getting condensate on print. Also, check your heater temps with an infrared to be sure you have even heating across curing area.

Commando

Are you sure it isn't steam? With more humid spring weather, might just be excess humidity. We keep hygrometer at printer. Usually more humidity not bad unless getting condensate on print. Also, check your heater temps with an infrared to be sure you have even heating across curing area.
I thought about that but that didnt answer why the sheeting was suddenly "melting"
You can rub your finger on a spot and feel where it is thinner than the rest. Im worried about how it will look after it gets stuck to aluminum.
Plus, that would have to be a lot of condensation and i couldnt find any.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well I've seen this once when someone was keeping the printer in garage and it was a really humid weather. It looks like smoke but it's just steam.
If it doesn't smell burned and other material works, bad roll? You can try to measure inside the heater the temperatures or go to the service menu and view the status of all the heaters.
After all if it didn't smell like burning it was probably steam or something else from the material. With HIP you should keep the temp as low as possible anyway.

Commando

Well I've seen this once when someone was keeping the printer in garage and it was a really humid weather. It looks like smoke but it's just steam.
If it doesn't smell burned and other material works, bad roll? You can try to measure inside the heater the temperatures or go to the service menu and view the status of all the heaters.
After all if it didn't smell like burning it was probably steam or something else from the material. With HIP you should keep the temp as low as possible anyway.
While i agree, it wont dry if the temps under 241. On the 365 we got, it will dry around 230.
I will try a different roll and see what happens.
The printer is in a building with climate control.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
While i agree, it wont dry if the temps under 241. On the 365 we got, it will dry around 230.
I will try a different roll and see what happens.
The printer is in a building with climate control.
What passes are you running? Going up with passes allows for lower temp.
For the temp difference, it's possible that the heater should be cleaned.

Last edited:

ikarasu

Is your hip all bumpy? When it overheats it melts and bubbles.

Most of not all of the smoke is likely condensation. Even in our 20k sqft shop we get it sometimes

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thing like that is close to impossible to figure out without seeing it.
Did you try to put that roll on the L365 and max out the heat?