• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Layer on a wrap

JCinNY

I've never done a complete wrap myself but a friend has asked me to do his race car. I need the experience and he really can't afford a pro so we agreed with no expectations.
I wanted to layer the neon cut numbers on the wrap before lamination, is there a trick or easy way to get registration on the wrap?
Should I leave the area under the numbers white and slightly smaller to help with intial positioning?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Dont laminate over layered vinyl.... in a race car situation it's not a big deal but in a normal wrap it will eventually cause an air bubble to form on the edge unless you use a laminate designed for textured surfaces.

OhioSigns

I just install on top of the laminate. Depending on the opacity of the vinyl you are using a white background may make it stay brighter vs putting it on top of a dark color although I usually just print a color or fill similar to the overlay at actual size. It makes registration easy using a clear transfer tape and even if registration if off a little it's not really noticeable vs using a color different from what your overlay is.

AKwrapguy

I've never done a complete wrap myself but a friend has asked me to do his race car. I need the experience and he really can't afford a pro so we agreed with no expectations.
I wanted to layer the neon cut numbers on the wrap before lamination, is there a trick or easy way to get registration on the wrap?
Should I leave the area under the numbers white and slightly smaller to help with intial positioning?

Just wrap like normal than place the neon numbers over the top. Do not try and laminate the numbers with the wrap. It will cause an air bubble around the edge of the number. Also when wrapping a race car you will need the wrap to be more fluid with the positioning. You will want to add all logos and sponsorship as a second layer on top of the design.