• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layouts

CharlieZack

I'm a beginner at carving wood signs and have no experience in creating layouts.
Anyone have experience using stencils? I've been getting templates made from a Sign company that makes vinyl signs but they are inconsistent. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Zack

Evan Gillette

Are you talking about for letterforms? If so I would suggest researching and finding some "alphabets" used by sign painters. Learning a few basic styles and committing them their shapes and attributes to memory will serve you much better in the long run and help with learning design principles for other elements in your carvings. For a good example of what I am referring to, you can do a search for "speedball textbook". I would recommend staying away from the trendy hand drawn characters that are so popular as they tend to generally be misshapen and poorly designed.