• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let the contest Begin!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Okay folks! Here's your chance to be the teacher and show us how fast you can mount vinyl.

The Contest is in 3 parts including:
  1. weed, mask and mount a yard sign(18" X 24"). Use 2 lines such as FOR SALE or FOR RENT. You may use the font of your choosing. Must have less than 2" borders all around.
  2. mount lettering to a 3' X 8' banner. Use four letters such as SALE, RENT, FAST, MOVE... Letters must be at least 22 inches high leaving a border of 7" on all 4 sides.
  3. mount a 4' X 8' print with full coverage on any substrate of your choosing. Can substitute with a solid color for those that don't have printers and those that think it will go faster. White is a color.
Mounting the print and banner start with the graphic and substrate apart from each other. The cut vinyl for the banner can be masked and ready to go.

Film your best effort and upload to YouTube. You must also include a brief explanation of the procedure you are using. It would be to your best interest to wait until the end of the contest to make the address of your entry public. Early exposure will give others the chance to best it. Please do not exceed 10 minutes on your video.

In the event of a tie, the forum will judge the level of difficulty and accuracy of the mounting. Use of more than one person will multiply the time of that portion by the number of people used. A motor counts as one person. Use any method you wish.

Contest is open to all. Prizes may be awarded by other merchants. My donation to the prize is $50 for each participant for a maximum of $1500. Minimum number of 5 participants for a prize to be awarded.

The contest will end on November 20 at which time the addresses will be released for all to see. Submit your entries to dale@bigsqueegee.com Prior to the deadline of Nov. 20th

The Videos belong to their authors. Any advertising or publishing resulting from this contest will require permission from the authors. YouTube does a very good job of protecting your work. Use of copyrighted materials without permission will result in disqualification.

Minor changes to the rules may be made within the first 3 days of the contest. I don't know if this has ever been tried before but at lest we will have given it a chance.

Last edited:

flisk

only thing...

in #1 you have "weed and mount" then under 3# you have: "The cut vinyl can be masked and ready to go."

which is needed for this? Do we video ourselves weeding it and pre-masking it? or do we start at the point where we bring the vinyl and the substrate together to apply?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
only thing...

in #1 you have "weed and mount" then under 3# you have: "The cut vinyl can be masked and ready to go."

which is needed for this? Do we video ourselves weeding it and pre-masking it? or do we start at the point where we bring the vinyl and the substrate together to apply?
#3 ends with the word "color". "The cut vinyl can be masked and ready to go" refers to the banner part which is #2.
I left #1 as is because there will be some that will use the speed press. You can video tape yourself or have someone else do it for you. No penalty there

iSign

so, you are saying as long as 5 people submit eligible videos, then everyone of them, up to 30 participants, will receive $50 just for entering?

So, splitting hairs on the video rules is not important because whoever judges, and by what criteria they judge (including weeding or not) ...this doesn't currently effect any prize yet offered?

I think over the course of the 3 day window you left open for your "rules" you really ought to consider Flisks observation of confusion & try to make this thing extremely clear and simple and free from multiple interpretations, just for the sake of keeping it fun.

Ken

Oh Man, I just finished doing a 4 x 8 in two horizontal panels, by myself, using the big squeegee.
Dale, I have figured out a way to prevent the roll from hopping off the holder when advancing the vinyl.
Cheers! Ken

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
so, you are saying as long as 5 people submit eligible videos, then everyone of them, up to 30 participants, will receive $50 just for entering?

So, splitting hairs on the video rules is not important because whoever judges, and by what criteria they judge (including weeding or not) ...this doesn't currently effect any prize yet offered?

I think over the course of the 3 day window you left open for your "rules" you really ought to consider Flisks observation of confusion & try to make this thing extremely clear and simple and free from multiple interpretations, just for the sake of keeping it fun.
I see! I left some area for splitting hairs. I'm good at that. Can you help me out?

The 5 contestant minimum... hmmm,.. Would not be much of a contest if we didn't have very many contestants would it? From the reaction to the organization thread, I'm not sure if we will get 5 contestants.

The prize money will be awarded to the fastest time for all three signs. As far as judging, should we put it to a vote? Any volunteers to do the judging?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Thank you for the ad Ken

Oh Man, I just finished doing a 4 x 8 in two horizontal panels, by myself, using the big squeegee.
Dale, I have figured out a way to prevent the roll from hopping off the holder when advancing the vinyl.
Cheers! Ken
This contest is not intended to be about the Big Squeegee. If you have comments about a product please find a thread that is on that subject or start a thread for discussion.

It is possible that the Big Squeegee is the fastest way to apply vinyl on the planet, but that is not the reason to have this contest. This is a place that many sign people go to get help. In the spirit of signs101, this contest should provide some much needed help to newbe's, seasoned professionals and addicts in the sign making world.
Good luck All.

iSign

My donation to the prize is $50 for each participant for a maximum of $1500.

this quote looks like everyone who participates gets $50, untill you've spent $1500, not like there are prizes for the fastest. (although that is what one would expect from a contest, I don't really think that's what you wrote)

Splitting hairs has to do with one guy videoing himself weeding and taping and applying & another guy just doing a video of the application. If you're the one timing their videos, and you only time the application... then it doesn't really matter if one guy shows his weeding prowess & the other doesn't.

The trouble with contests, is that is not the time to be vague. If people start putting time into setting up a video & uploading it to youtube... that could be several hours of their time if they are not familiar with the process. (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) Who cares if nobody else participates... that should make the person who did participate the winner... not make them disqualified because everyone else is lazier then he or she.

I can't help you straighten out your contest because I am way too busy, other then helping you by posting to say that I don't think you've put enough thought into making everything as clear as you need to.

This could be a good marketing opportunity for you, so maybe you should invest in a marketing expert to help you do this properly. Even if half the money you invest goes into professional assistence, instead of prizes, if it makes for a more cohesive & professionally advertised event... it will be more fun, more successful, & produce more positive exposure for your company. In my opinion.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I can see that this contest is going nowhere. Sorry to have brought it up without doing a bit more organizing. I will work on it and may try again later.

End of contest... No Contestants.

Ken

A while back, I posted a simple tutorial, and the feedback was surprisedly negative. I should have consulted with Fred --before-- that post.
Cheers!
Ken