• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LG Vinyl LD383TG peeling?

landdesigns

Tried using LG's LD383TG air release vinyl with my Versacamm on a racecar and the edges started curling and peeling, never had it happen to me with any vinyl. Doing car completely over kinda of confused what happened, any ideas of what could of happened?

Rydaddy

These are the obvious ?'s that no one else has asked yet so I will throw them out there:

-How long did the print out-gas prior to lamination, assuming it was laminated.
-Was it print and cut, or a full wrap?
-Any chance the car was freshly painted or had some other contaminate on it that did not get cleaned off?

Sorry if these are the obvious questions, but we need to start somewhere. Oh, and I feel for you. Been there before, scratching my head.

MontereySigns

Race cars are generally pretty curvy and LD383TG is meant for mostly flat surfaces. I haven't seen photos of the problem but I bet it was heated and stretched to conform to a curve and now the calendered film is pulling back (peeling) to its original shape.

We use this product all the time and it's great. Its great for windows, A-Frame signs, decals, and other flat applications.

-Bud

landdesigns

The Body is a Dirt Modified so all the surfaces were straight no curves, the panels were all aluminum powder coated and the graphics gased out for a few hours before being laminated. I lettered 20 cars this year and this is the only one that has problems,maybe the surface was contaminated , but i have noticed if I print and cut a graphic using lg then leave the graphic sitting, the edges on the graphic peel of the backing paper?