• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo design, past and future...

Moze

With someone posting yet another link to one of those crowd-sourcing logo design sites, it made me think of the transition the industry has taken from hand-painted signs to vinyl signs.

Hand-painted signs requires talent and years of practice and is obviously a SKILLED profession. It still exists but has largely been replaced with vinyl and other materials. While it's a given that hand-painted signs generally look better and have more class, people still by and large have gone the route of vinyl due to lower cost, faster results, the ability to duplicate, and it "gets the job done". Too often, quick and dirty and the bottom dollar is what it comes down to.

Is that where logo design is headed?

Logo's designed by professionals look better, but to the naive and to the mom and pop businesses, these logo design sites are essentially the "vinyl" of the logo design profession. They're quick and dirty, they get the job done, they're cheap and give the customer what they think is a great logo - just how vinyl gives people what they think is a great looking sign and essentially lowers the perceived value of the services offered by sign painters.

There will always be great designers, just like there will always (hopefully) be sign painters, but I wonder if these crowd sourcing sites will become so admired and popular that true designers will become the exception rather than the rule. Or is it already at that point?

OldPaint

now a days.......LOGO is totally misnomer. i see it here all the time, some "graphix designer)snicker snicker.......take a line of text, changes the color of each letter and NOW ITS A LOGO))))))
no thought, no real individuality. just some lame idea....posted on a graphic program on the computer.
BLAND, NON-DESCRIPT & surely NON-MEMORABLE))))
most i see today are simplistic at best. just look at NIKE)))) WENDY'S sucks.....sloppy text is the in thing.
people wanting a "logo" really have no idea of what it is......so what they accept....is what they get.

TammieH

now a days.......LOGO is totally misnomer. i see it here all the time, some "graphix designer)snicker snicker.......take a line of text, changes the color of each letter and NOW ITS A LOGO))))))
no thought, no real individuality. just some lame idea....posted on a graphic program on the computer.
most i see today are simplistic at best. just look at NIKE)))) WENDY'S sucks.....sloppy text is the in thing.
people wanting a "logo" really have no idea of what it is......so what they accept....is what they get.

I agree completely

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday

X2