• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo update Feedback

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I've known for a long time that my old logo is overdone and not very legible (see business card) I needed some shirts for SGIA so I decided for a total redesign. I'm looking for constructive criticism on the new design. And, yes "& Signs" looks like an afterthought. Right now I only install for national accounts, but in the next year or so I want to start outsourcing and then producing my own signs and graphics. It's part of the legal name Core Graphics & Signs LLC and there is already a Core Graphics in southern Florida. I would love to drop it but not sure how to resolve it.

Let the games begin...

Old Business Card.jpg New Logo.jpg

qmr55

Get rid of all the colors/version, show us in black and white. Let's start there. Think you have a good starting point though.

Joe Diaz

I like the concept using the negative space. Normally I try to avoid doing things like that with your lettering because it harms the legibility of the design, but I think since the effect supports the name and also keeping in mind that the core is a short word. I think it reads fine. I might avoid having the R overlap the E. It's not really all that necessary and is one too many unusual letter treatments to your primary name, it may also help with the legibility if you spaced it out. I'm also not sure about the script for the secondary copy, its hard to say without comparing it to something else. I do like the visual contrast it has with the bolder lettering above but I feel like CORE should be the most interesting part of this design. The script competes with that a bit. I don't know I'm on the fence about that one. If you are trying to go simple clean and corporate, which it looks like you are, the three different copy treatments might be a bit much. I think you are on the right track though.

TimToad

I really like the negative space treatment with the "O" and think its adds a target feature that draws the viewers eye in on the main message. I'd concur with Joe on the need to open up the space between the r and the e. The minor text seems so small and lonely off by itself in that righthand bottom corner, that I wonder if it has a rash or something and fears it might rub off on the other letters if it gets too close.

We sign folks seem to believe that a script must be included in all of our design work, and while yours is of a good scale and neutral enough color to not fight with the main message too badly, its a pretty well worn "Mike Stevens" inspired script that has been used almost strictly by signwriters and overused in my opinion.

A great start and I look forward to seeing it evolve as you zero in on your desired image.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Here is the original version and 3 new version addressing some of the comments.

The original "Graphics" was Art and Signs Speedway.

I felt the same way about "& Signs". I am having a hard time resolving it. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a name and researching available web sites. I wanted Core Graphics, the web site was available and it tied in with my last name - Courtney. Then, when trying to form an llc. I found out there was a Core Graphics in Florida already so I had to add "& Signs". Those negative thoughts are getting in the way and part of the reason why I am asking for input.

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

Craig Sjoquist

Ok ya opened up the Core & best is a straight line of copy for graphics & signs small either same font a lighter version or serifed that is bold enough to read well.

NEXT .....use the final logo as a icon or secondary element & for each different main sales thought soso it would read

core
INSTALL

core
DESIGN

core
SIGNS etc.

Craig Sjoquist

This way if you come up with 10 main job descriptions you can market each as separate & you will seem bigger & more professional

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Like the other logo post....

Like most logos on here for critique, we are clueless as to how you got
to this point...

Did you do any research?

First thing I would do is google "CORE LOGO"

part of the design process is research.

You should not have one or 2 ideas, but many.

--- RESEARCH (Your logo solution shows up a few times in google)
--- START DESIGNING FOR THE PERSON YOU WANT TO PORTRAY
--- come up with more ideas...
--- Then pick your favorite directions, then polish

By the way, stay away from SIGN SHOP fonts... Crillee in my opinion
is a typical sign shop typeface that should probably be avoided or modify
the Crillee out of it...

Marlene

By the way, stay away from SIGN SHOP fonts... Crillee in my opinion
is a typical sign shop typeface that should probably be avoided or modify
the Crillee out of it...

the font is what bothers me the most. try the same concept but with another font. Crillee is very dated and looks bad.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the crillee comments. I like it for CORE but after that it's so over used and takes away from CORE. I need to get away from it for and come back with a fresh perspective.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been helpfull.

S'N'S

I like the font you chose for CORE, but I wouldn't kern the R/E as it looks silly with that gap in your example, maybe a finer outline so that it's still overlapped but you can still make out the R. Maybe try the Graphics & Signs like JSMoritz did underneath.