• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking faux wood...

sardocs

Hi Folks - I had an unusual customer request yesterday. He is restoring a '76 Ranchero Squire for some reason. I guess 'cos it has a big block and that can make just about any car fun... Anyway he wondered if I could either source out a supplier for wood grain vinyl to wrap the plastic trim mouldings from the sides and tailgate, or if I could faux paint them to match the factory vinyl. I cant find anything remotely close in my vinyl catalogs. If they were a darker, longer grain wood look I might try painting 'em but he's real stuck on it looking original. Its like a simulation of white oak with tiny grain lines and dots in a greyish colour. I just wondered if anybody here has come across a source for specialty wood grain vinyls. I really don't want to paint these if I don't have to...

Attachments

• dscn8867-web.jpg
    dscn8867-web.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 91
  • dscn8869-web.jpg
    dscn8869-web.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
  • dscn8871-web.jpg
    dscn8871-web.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 60

sardocs

Thanks for the quick reply,Fred. I will show him the samples of ash and maple on your site. They might work. He is pretty firm that he wants it to look like the plasti-oak that's already on there. There are no long flatgrain streaks in the pattern and no seams, so it looks like its all one piece. I told him actual wood trim would have seams, but apparently Fordwood doesn't.

sardocs

Thanks Craig. I'll pass that link on to him, but I think he has already exhausted all the Hemmings, Year One, etc sources. He is a member of our local car club and our drag race club and none of the restorers, enthusiasts, or customizers were able to help. Why are we all at work on Sunday?

Dejohn

This is just an Idea but have you thought about using a digi camera to snap off some close up shots and replicate using photoshop...or if you have a small enough piece Try and scan it....Just a thought...Dennis

rfulford

Edit: Had my browser window open too long and did not see that Mach already provided my answer.

sardocs

Thanks everybody...This Di-noc film seems to be the way to go. There is a wood grain pattern that looks like it might be perfect. Would I need to laminate it or is this stuff supposed to go on as is?

signmeup

This is just an Idea but have you thought about using a digi camera to snap off some close up shots and replicate using photoshop...or if you have a small enough piece Try and scan it....Just a thought...Dennis
Just do this.