• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Looking for drawing tablet for daughters chrome book

kheebl

I don’t even know if something like exists but my daughter wants a drawing tablet like a wacom or similar but she only has a chrome book. Does anyone make something like this? Or any work arounds? She is only 10 so nothing fancy is needed.

WildWestDesigns

I'm unaware of any tablet vendor that has drivers for a chromebook. Not unless there is a no name vendor out there.

Most only have drivers for Windows/Mac. Linux (thankfully) has them built into the kernel on most distros and while ChromeOS is using the Linux kernel, it doesn't have that in there as far as I know.

I guess you could open up the terminal and do
Code:
man xsetwacom
and see if anything shows up.

Typically, if the driver is installed, that command would display a manual of usage of the cli version of the driver.

At one time Wacom was looking at a solution, but I don't know how far that's come or if it's no longer viable.

kheebl

I'm unaware of any tablet vendor that has drivers for a chromebook. Not unless there is a no name vendor out there.

Most only have drivers for Windows/Mac. Linux (thankfully) has them built into the kernel on most distros and while ChromeOS is using the Linux kernel, it doesn't have that in there as far as I know.

I guess you could open up the terminal and do
Code:
man xsetwacom
and see if anything shows up.

Typically, if the driver is installed, that command would display a manual of usage of the cli version of the driver.

At one time Wacom was looking at a solution, but I don't know how far that's come or if it's no longer viable.

Thanks I’ll try to figure that out. I know nothing about chrome os only used it to help her set it up. I have heard you can load Linux on it somehow maybe that might work. I know my search for these have come up with windows/Mac only. If all else fails I can set one up on my computer at home.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks I’ll try to figure that out. I know nothing about chrome os only used it to help her set it up. I have heard you can load Linux on it somehow maybe that might work. I know my search for these have come up with windows/Mac only. If all else fails I can set one up on my computer at home.

If I'm not mistaken, in order to run Linux on top of ChromeOS, you have to be in Developer Mode, which would mean normal security precautions are not present. There is possibility of key logging etc on the device. I don't know that for certain, but that would be something that I would check out just to make sure.

kheebl

If I'm not mistaken, in order to run Linux on top of ChromeOS, you have to be in Developer Mode, which would mean normal security precautions are not present. There is possibility of key logging etc on the device. I don't know that for certain, but that would be something that I would check out just to make sure.

Thanks for the heads up. That’s definitely something to consider.