• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Led suggestions

Pa.Pete

Hello, I am new at sign making and looking for suggestion for Leds. I plan on lighting this from the inside perimeter, and I have an acrylic piece I cut for the inside front. The front and back are separate pieces and I made a center piece that will separate the the lights from the power supply.

Attachments

• 20180217_171946.jpg
    20180217_171946.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 363
  • 20180217_171958.jpg
    20180217_171958.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 284

msigns

Hello, I am new at sign making and looking for suggestion for Leds. I plan on lighting this from the inside perimeter, and I have an acrylic piece I cut for the inside front. The front and back are separate pieces and I made a center piece that will separate the the lights from the power supply.

Sandman

I just did this for a bar sign where I sandblasted the customers logo on the back side of a circular mirror so the logo ended up being frosted glass. He used an LED kit from Amazon where the LED's are on a continuous strip with very high bond tape on the backside. The LED's were attached to the edge around the perimeter so that they were all pointing toward the center. It lit the whole area inside the sign and looked great. (The customer installed the LED's himself. It takes almost zero talent) It even comes with a remote control to adjust the intensity and color. The kit is already UL approved so you shouldn't have any problem with inspectors. In fact in my area, with LED's being low voltage, as long as I buy UL approved components, the only time an inspector gets involved is when my sign is connected directly to a 120 volt power supply. nothing to inspect with a plug in the wall unit.
https://www.amazon.com/WenTop-300le...TF8&qid=1518988035&sr=1-5&keywords=led+strips

Pa.Pete

I just did this for a bar sign where I sandblasted the customers logo on the back side of a circular mirror so the logo ended up being frosted glass. He used an LED kit from Amazon where the LED's are on a continuous strip with very high bond tape on the backside. The LED's were attached to the edge around the perimeter so that they were all pointing toward the center. It lit the whole area inside the sign and looked great. (The customer installed the LED's himself. It takes almost zero talent) It even comes with a remote control to adjust the intensity and color. The kit is already UL approved so you shouldn't have any problem with inspectors. In fact in my area, with LED's being low voltage, as long as I buy UL approved components, the only time an inspector gets involved is when my sign is connected directly to a 120 volt power supply. nothing to inspect with a plug in the wall unit.
https://www.amazon.com/WenTop-300le...TF8&qid=1518988035&sr=1-5&keywords=led+strips

Sandman, Thanks for the reply. I would love to see a pic of your sign if you wanted to post it.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What's the size?
(You should be able to keep the transformer/driver in the cabinet)

What color is the acrylic and how deep is it?
(If it's translucent white and at least 3 inches deep, you might want to add the LED's to the back of the sign, depending on the size, attaching the LED's to the side may create a dead spot in the middle.

If you are hardwiring or plugging into a wall in your state, it must be UL.

You can always ask...
Per a clients request, I designed lit ADA door signs and submitted them for inspection - my client was not UL certified but they had a sub-contractor who was, once we satisfied their requirements they passed it.

ams

That is a China made LED strip, I have a couple and they are horrible. The slightest movement will make them go out because of a bad connection. Also the brightness level is low. They make special LED's for lighting around a perimeter called Golden Series P-1270. I have some and they are amazing. Here are the specs: http://hanleyledsolutions.com/files/G1270_SpecSheet.pdf

Don't go cheap with your customer.

ams

I was told if I used low voltage LEDs and they were in a complete unit and unaltered I did not have to be UL listed. Is that correct?

Doesn't matter, anything hardwired must be UL listed. However you can find your nearest UL lister and take it to them to have them check it and put a label on it. (Subbing it out). I've done that. Check with biggest sign manufacturers in your area. Usually if you pay $200 they will slap a label on just about anything.

Mans59

I would use the GE Mini Max LED's for this mounted on the back of the sign. Side mounted would cause a dark(er) spot in the middle. (sides would be much brighter) GE offers a small Power Supply that you could mount in the cabinet. (Under "the" over the "is", noting special needs to be made for it.) Needs to be UL'd.

Tetra miniMAX MS | Current by GE

Acrylic done as a push-thru?

Good luck..

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Nice looking sign! Will the sign light up white or red? Being that the graphics are smaller in size and broken up pretty well you could easily place led's across the back of the sign and not have a hot spot issue, especially is you use 3/16" thick sign grade acrylic. You could try edge lighting it but i agree you might not get quite the same illumination in the center. You could use the TetraMax or minis mentioned above and they should have a lens cover that helps diffuse the light better to reduce hot spots as well. You might have an issue finding a power supply for inside the sign that will have the required airspace around it as most single power supply installs require a 1" space between the PS and enclosure. The sign would also need a switch installed which would be problematic. Hopefully you have the option of remote mount PS and switch and can just run low voltage wire from the sign to the PS.

henryz

High perfection and Meanwell make small power supplies about 1" depth, GE leds will probably work the best if you use polycarb instead of acrylic on the face you don't need to separate the power supply it can be enclosed together. Everything has to be UL listed, leds, power supplies, low voltage wire even wire nuts unless you just doing a hack job?

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Everyone also needs to remember that it is the individual municipality that may or may not require electrical signs to be UL listed. Some towns and cities do not and therefore a UL label is not necessarily required on all jobs.

Sandman

That is a China made LED strip, I have a couple and they are horrible. The slightest movement will make them go out because of a bad connection. Also the brightness level is low. They make special LED's for lighting around a perimeter called Golden Series P-1270. I have some and they are amazing. Here are the specs: http://hanleyledsolutions.com/files/G1270_SpecSheet.pdf

Don't go cheap with your customer.
I don't even know if that is the one the customer used. That was just an example of what he used. I only blasted the mirror. The customer did everything else. What ever brand he used he told me it works perfectly.