• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for PRO monitor

andy.abel

Hi Guys!

I know that there is another thread dealin with new monitor suggestions, but...
I need a really PRO monitor, but to be honest I have no idea which one to choose...
Man who sells computers (Apples) to our company suggested Apple Cinema Display and told me that the price is quite OK right now. I don't know if he said it just because he is selling Apple...or because it is just right.

What do you think about Apple Cinema Displays?
Which monitor would you buy?
Which one is the best?

Thanks a lot.

Capital Signs

Apple.

I dont know what else is all spot on. But i do know it is ALL about profiling and color matching. If you have the software, i think almost any higher end monitor should be just fine. You dont need to spend a million bucks on a montor, even though it would be nice!

FatCat

Apple has very nice monitors, so does Lacie for most applications.
If you're working with critical color and want the absolute best, go with a Barco.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Sorry. We don't buy monitors any more. All HDTv's. Our latest a 32 inch Sony.

sign&frame

I bought a high end lacie 21 inch for 1500 bucks and i'm happy but the big difference i saw in it was that it isn't as bright and when you view at different angles you dont get the black reflective look.

Do Not buy apple monitor because they have a high contrast level which is very bad to now if colors are accurate.

Get a monitor with 600 or 800:1 contrast and def. get and eye one2 montior color profiler.

I got an extra want if you want :)

mnapuran

Most of my last 6 or so monitors have been Dell's. Their 22's and 24's. They have a nice 30" similar to the Apple as well. Calibration is VERY helpful on any monitor.

Letterbox Mike

I'm working with the 30" Dell and I love it. It's a little on the bright side out of the box but I've got it dialed in fairly well and the color I see on screen matches the output on our JV3 almost exactly. Whenever I get around to investing in doing our own media profiles I'll actually calibrate the monitor the correct way but until then this seems to fit the bill nicely. I've been told the Dell and Apple 30" screens both use the same Samsung LCD panel, for what it's worth.

GK

As far as the Apple Cinema display goes as being "Pro Grade" you will definitely get some critics about it. I have 2 of them an they are great but still need custom profiling to get accurate results. The Samsung Sync Master 305T is a great monitor as well as the specs on it meet and exceed the older versions of the cinema displays (dunno about the new Gen III models). Sony makes the LMD series professional LCDs starting around $3,000. EZIO, LaCie and NEC also make a good monitor as well. (Keep in mind a lot of the monitor brands...are not the monitor manufacturer and are rebranded).

Last edited:

sign&frame

$3000 is for for Enzio which run at a 14 or 16bit color

When I bought my monitor, I did a month of homework lol

A monitor is as good as the profiles you got printer because your screen will show you

amazing output and printer well ain't ever exactly same

andy.abel

well, it's very very hard to make decision I have to say...
But there is some progress in my decision-making...It seems that most people are suggesting Apple, Eizo or Dell... :)
Today I found this one... Eizo CG222W-BK
Can you suggest also a specific model?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

ChiknNutz

Geez, I've been happy with the last couple I got that were around $200...one is a Viewsonic and another an Acer from Newegg. In fact, I just bought another Acer 19" LCD today as a replacement for an old 19" CRT. I guess I don't have the need for such hi-end stuff.

GK

If you do a comparison search online you will find that there has been several reviews comparing the Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP" vs the Apple Cinema Display 30".

The Apple display was most often more money.
The Dell was said to have sharper text compared to the Apple.
The Dell has more adjustments, ports, and media reader.
Side by side comparison showed the Dell did not produce the same gradients or true white levels that the Apple did which is a turn off to many people. The Apple also produced less digital noise.
Out of the box the Dell compared to Apple was said to have over-saturated colors. The brightness of the Dell was also effecting the true blacks of the Dell monitor compared to the Apple one causing it to look washed out compared to a true black point.

Sooo they are pretty close and in every review given you will find that. I have a Cinema display and a Samsung SyncMaster 305T and I like the Syncmaster over the Cinema (but it is a great display).

Rooster

The samsung 275T displays about 90% of the Adobe RGB gamut (1998). For well under $1000.

The Eizo should be able to display the entire Adobe RGB gamut (1998). Although if you're looking to soft proof your prints from an inkjet it's overkill as your printer has nowhere near the same color range.

With the money I saved on the Samsung over the Apple or the Eizo, I purchased coloreyes display pro which comes with the X-rite DTP-94 color eye. The colors are bang on and it takes about five minutes to calibrate. I've been reproducing fine art and making profiles for over a decade and I can find no fault with this system. When you have picky artists signing off on the first proof you're doing something very right.

Of course without creating your own printer/media profiles and in the case of photography or scanning input profiles, you'll still be chasing color around like a dog chases it's tail.

digitalgraffiti

I'm using 2 24 inch Gateway FDP2485W monitors and love them. They swivel to portrait as needed. Color, contrast and overall consistency is much better than Apple Cinema Displays. Calibrate easy using an Eye One. Price was right at about $650.00.

GK

Why don't you explain what kind of setup you have that you to really justify using a professional grade monitor. I am just curious, you could spend your money however but unless you are doing Iris/Waterproofs/DuPont Cromachecks/KODAK Approvals really NEED one. I think by knowing this you will be able to narrow your search down and possibly save some money (because even some of the Pro grades will be over kill...possibly)

andy.abel

Why don't you explain what kind of setup you have that you to really justify using a professional grade monitor. I am just curious, you could spend your money however but unless you are doing Iris/Waterproofs/DuPont Cromachecks/KODAK Approvals really NEED one. I think by knowing this you will be able to narrow your search down and possibly save some money (because even some of the Pro grades will be over kill...possibly)

you are right...I wanted good monitor...in this thread we have maybe gone too far...to PRO :) Every person I know has different opinion on this..so I have to try...and then I can tell you something about my experience.
I am buying Eizo CG222W-BK.
One guy also told me that this monitor is better then todays eizo more expensive top models...
Maybe it is overkill, you are right....but I am decided.

Thanks guys for your great support.

GK

You will love that monitor, be sure to get the optional hood with it if you are in a room with flourescent lighting, the contrast never seems right without it in those lighting conditions.