• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for some assistance on backlit cabinet.

Gene

I have a request for an led internally lit 16" x 16" 2 sided cabinet with a max of 4" depth. This cabinet will hang from a ceiling. The request was satin stainless. I have not been able to source one in stainless. I have in the past wrapped some sign comp cabs in stainless which worked well. I can also fabricate my own out of stainless if necessary but I am not sure how the UL certification would hinder it. I was under the impression we did not need UL listing on the led cabs since they were a low voltage source. Am I wrong? Please forgive my ignorance on this topic.. I would be grateful if someone had a source they could point me to for a supplier. Thank you all!

JBurton

Signtologist
I was under the impression we did not need UL listing on the led cabs since they were a low voltage source.
But the low voltage starts as a higher voltage, unless you are installing remote power supplies in UL approved boxes and routing the secondary to the sign, and even then the sign would still need to be UL as it is considered an electrical enclosure...
At any rate, I'd avoid stainless and opt for brushed aluminum, at 16" tall, the ceiling would need to be about 9' tall to offer adequate clearance.
UL would be happy for your sign to be made from anything within the SAM. I'm sure stainless steel is listed: