• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Website Design & Cost

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have always been an advocate for some cross pollination of knowledge among departments.

while I don’t disagree, you can expect everyone to know everything you know.

for example being a printer, it’s not vital to know layout and design. Although I’m sure half of us know it.

It’s the same me saying, everyone should have the tools and no how to calibrate their own printers. Most people here have no clue about printer calibration - but it’s key to printing

I got the site done, I just laid it out in Corel and found a guy on Fiverr to set it up. I contacted a company someone here recommended but they didn't respond. It worked out. I'm not Walmart and we're pretty established so all the fancy stuff and seo doesn't matter to me.

SEO isn’t fancy. It’s a core thing for websites. It’s the descriptive writing that helps with organic searching.
if you went with fiverr, you probably have a Wordpress site.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

for example being a printer, it’s not vital to know layout and design. Although I’m sure half of us know it.

It’s the same me saying, everyone should have the tools and no how to calibrate their own printers. Most people here have no clue about printer calibration - but it’s key to printing

SEO isn’t fancy. It’s a core thing for websites. It’s the descriptive writing that helps with organic searching.
if you went with fiverr, you probably have a Wordpress site.
Yeah its wordpress. It's so easy to work with. Our old site was Drupal and it didn't seem to be as user friendly.
I don't know if it helps with SEO but I always try to rename pictures that get stuck on the site to something relevant to the business.

Notarealsignguy

Glad you got er done in the end!

I might start a new thread on this, but has anyone checked InkSoft out?

https://www.inksoft.com/signage/?ut...m_term=InkSoft-Signage-LP&utm_content=Signage

Seems like an interesting package w/ e-commerce and online designer.
It's like going through distributor central I think. It's a back door for sinalite (or whatever the wholesaler is) to essentially sell retail.
I feel like most of the desirable customers don't want to or have the time to fiddle fart around with those things. I get the point of them from the perspective of the print factories but not many of us here are in that business.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Glad you got er done in the end!

I might start a new thread on this, but has anyone checked InkSoft out?

https://www.inksoft.com/signage/?ut...m_term=InkSoft-Signage-LP&utm_content=Signage

Seems like an interesting package w/ e-commerce and online designer.

That's a Web2Print solution / W2P. There's been a few threads about it, but not to many are familiar with it on this forum.
That one looks to be more on the basic side. There's others like Onprintshop that firesprint use. There's quite a few, but not many have live demos unfortunately.

It's like going through distributor central I think. It's a back door for sinalite (or whatever the wholesaler is) to essentially sell retail.
I feel like most of the desirable customers don't want to or have the time to fiddle **** around with those things. I get the point of them from the perspective of the print factories but not many of us here are in that business.
It's just a ecommerce front end. Sinalite are just a user of the software.

Yeah its wordpress. It's so easy to work with. Our old site was Drupal and it didn't seem to be as user friendly.
I don't know if it helps with SEO but I always try to rename pictures that get stuck on the site to something relevant to the business.
Wordpress is great, powerful and easy to use.
Renaming images helps.
But there's free tools for SEO in wordpress.
- Yoast (We use the pro version)
- Rank Math
- All in 1 SEO.
Basically at the bottom of each page in the editor, there's extra fields where you add your SEO, describing the page.

When you search on google, you see websites come up that meet the searched criteria. With that, each web link has a description. That's your SEO. 100% worth it.

Notarealsignguy

Basically at the bottom of each page in the editor, there's extra fields where you add your SEO, describing the page.

When you search on google, you see websites come up that meet the searched criteria. With that, each web link has a description. That's your SEO. 100% worth it.
Our site is probably real popular in India then

WildWestDesigns

No, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't know something, certainly something that is at worst tangentially related and actually an integral phase of the entire production process. It just seems like there is no desire to go beyond what one does all the time (and even then, there seems to be a desire not to continually learn what is new with regard to even that, this isn't everyone, but it does seem to be more and more the case as the years go by). To each their own.

As I said, the older that I get, the less beholding that I like to be to someone else when it is feasible.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
No, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't know something, certainly something that is at worst tangentially related and actually an integral phase of the entire production process. It just seems like there is no desire to go beyond what one does all the time (and even then, there seems to be a desire not to continually learn what is new with regard to even that, this isn't everyone, but it does seem to be more and more the case as the years go by). To each their own.

As I said, the older that I get, the less beholding that I like to be to someone else when it is feasible.
to be fair, my business has never been about design and layouts.
We provide a print service.

But i do know layout and design. and many other things. But to assume a printer must know layout and design, but most people on here don't know squat about making a media profile which in my opinion is very important.

WildWestDesigns

to be fair, my business has never been about design and layouts.
We provide a print service.

That's fine if all one is doing is printing as is.
But i do know layout and design. and many other things. But to assume a printer must know layout and design, but most people on here don't know squat about making a media profile which in my opinion is very important.
If one is a printer, I would expect them to know how to create their own profiles, that to me would be something that would set them apart compared to their competition and it shows that they have a little more knowledge of their machine(s) as well, as not all machines respond the same way to all profiles. While I think a printer should know layout and design, it isn't a must. If one is just printing files as is and not doing anything else, then they don't know to know layout and design.

I would say that businesses out there today, should know a smattering of what it takes to setup a website as well. I would say that it is even moreso for designers to know as well. Not just in terms of how it renders, but also setting up objects for easy interactivity (no the designer doesn't have to mess with XML at all, I know that scares some just thinking of that), but just in the basics of how they structure their objects within the canvas layers. Is it a must....no. But it certainly opens up more advantages compared to not knowing it.

Now, not everyone is motivated as such, and that is what it is.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We need to replace our website. Does anyone here do custom sites? What would be the ballpark range for a nice turn key site about 5-6 pages run to build?
I have a great guy for websites. Rob Frierson at iwantawebsite.com 561-213-9494. His website builds run around $300.

MargaretGilliam

I see that the different people already suggested some good ways. For me, I recently developed my new website with the help of site creator. The better thing is it's easy to use, more affordable and cheap as well.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If it is really just a portfolio place and directing people to contact you thru email/phone etc, that should be able to be handled easily with HTML/CSS and that is fairly easy to do yourself.

Now, if you are looking at an online store, complex forms, client portals etc, that's something else entirely. If you look at your CPanel for your site now (or what passes for the CPanel depending on what your hosting service uses on the server, although I would imagine that it is RHEL), should be able to have plugins etc that allow you to easily get something else up on your own as well. Even with the more difficult online shopping etc type of needs.

One thing that I would caution with the the point and click type of site builders is that most people do not tend to style those radically different so sites all start to look the same. So while they do make things easier, they also make things look the same and for those that think that the internet space is a visual blight on the eyes, that's partially the problem right there. So keep that in mind as well. Another thing about those that I don't tend to like is that you are at the mercy of the people that made whatever plugins that you used to keep them up to date as well. So if you are unable to tweak things when necessary yourself, that may be another concern to think about.

If it's not needing a lot of interactivity and CRUD work, it should be easy enough to do a nice website and still have some animation etc (it's amazing what one can do (and should do) with CSS nowadays and not have to rely on JS) and be able to do it yourself.
Actually I prefer to argleschnuck the BEGAD and by bpass the hg protocols. Anybody can write and KDJFN code to activate the R-Jable, and if you can't do that may God help you!

I use WIX.

• Hilarious!
Reactions: GB2

WildWestDesigns

Actually I prefer to argleschnuck the BEGAD and by bpass the hg protocols. Anybody can write and KDJFN code to activate the R-Jable, and if you can't do that may God help you!

I use WIX.
You didn't see my replay to your original strawman fallacy to that same quote that you put up of mine did you?

You and one other user add more complexity to what I am saying compared to what really needs to be there. Now, I could be doing a poor job explaining it, that is quite possible. But y'all just make things twice as much work and not at all what I am talking about.

But you do you. That's fine.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You didn't see my replay to your original strawman fallacy to that same quote that you put up of mine did you?

You and one other user add more complexity to what I am saying compared to what really needs to be there. Now, I could be doing a poor job explaining it, that is quite possible. But y'all just make things twice as much work and not at all what I am talking about.

But you do you. That's fine.
What is a "replay to an original strawman fallacy"? I guess I didn't see it.

I started making web sites with HTML and CSS back in the early nineties. Things got complicated quick, so I went to Wordpress with its already written PHP code and MySQL database. The along came javascript and Ruby on Rails and J-Query and I could no longer keep up (I was busy running a sign shop). So I outsourced the web page, SEO, back-linking, etc.

I set up a WIX site for one of our companies (just needed a portfolio page for a local business). Took about 45 minutes. Anybody can do it.

Note: I just threw away a couple shelves of books on programming. They were all obsolete anyhow.

WildWestDesigns

Post #34 was my reply to your original comment.

I started making web sites with HTML and CSS back in the early nineties. Things got complicated quick, so I went to Wordpress with its already written PHP code and MySQL database. The along came javascript and Ruby on Rails and J-Query and I could no longer keep up (I was busy running a sign shop). So I outsourced the web page, SEO, back-linking, etc.

I remember those days. Used to use Notepad. Didn't have all of the fancy text editors for back during that time. Dreamweaver (before Adobe) was I think late 90s (or that may have been one I first got a copy of it, can't remember, I have slept since may times since those days), I had the last one before Adobe had it, which was 2004 I think. Had it with the Master Suite, but never installed it. I have gone back to using a text editor, although fancier compared to Notepad (and I don't have an option for Notepad either, so using Notepad is moot).

CSS has come a long way since the 90s. Can now do some interactions and don't even need JS/TS. That's why, depending on how sophisticated one needs, could actually just get away with HTML/CSS even today. Part of the problem with the bloat that people complain about with the web, is that too many people still depend on JS/TS for everything, despite what one can do with HTML/CSS now. Over time that causes a performance hit, particularly depending on if they use something like querySelector() (or similar) versus getElementById(). Some actually interchange them.

Note: I just threw away a couple shelves of books on programming. They were all obsolete anyhow.
Oh yea, if we are talking about the 90s, those are way outdated. Depending on what languages one is talking about, a lot of paradigms have changed since that time. GUI programming just by itself was different. Targeting individual APIs for each platform, retained mode. Given everyone wants cross platform, it tends to be immediate mode and targeting the GPU with either OpenGL, Vulkan, or if dealing with Mac, Metal (Blender uses OpenGL, as I believe Substance Painter (bought by Adobe) does as well, bare in mind, a lot of immediate mode programs tend to be available on all 3 desktop environments (or even those that use libraries like Qt (Maya comes to mind), with regard to the examples, there are many more, but those are open source that come to my mind the quickest, and I know some on here despise open source programs(not saying specifically you), so I'm sticking with the closed/commercial and limiting the open source or not even mentioning the open source/commercial) .

Shoot some libraries/frameworks now make even C++ seem like a scripting language (Qt being one that comes to my mind almost immediately).