• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

magenta overspray on varaible-2 dot size

Spencer McMurtry

this is happening on a mimaki jv3-160sp

more problems with the printer this one i have no idea on i have tried everything.. all the calibrations are perfect tried different rips even.. when printing at variable 2 dot size so 720x720 or higher.. the magenta head over sprays like crazy 2 inches in each direction.. but when u print solid magenta at this resolution no over spray and yet when u print variable 1 dot size no over spray this is a brand new magenta head.. also i ruled out the dampers / bulk ink system by switching the black lines / dampers on the magenta print head and it was doing the same thing with black. I am using triangle mld ink dual cmyk. i also tried different cables from the slider board to the print heads.. anyone have any ideas?!? this head is printing perfect at variable 1 dot size.

APC Tech NE

Is there any way ink or cleaning solution has found it's way on to the small pcb on the head itself? Heads that have been exposed to liquid will do weird things like this.

APC Tech NE

I would switch the data cables IN PAIRS with the head next to it to see if the problem follows the data channel, or stays on the head. It will print all out of whack, but it will give you the info to isolate the problem.

I would switch the data cables IN PAIRS with the head next to it to see if the problem follows the data channel, or stays on the head. It will print all out of whack, but it will give you the info to isolate the problem.

This is a good troubleshooting technique and I'm willing to bet that the issue will stay with the Head regardless of which data channel is running to it. Sounds like your Head was bad out of the box (unlikely though) or something happened to it during install.

What are you using for RIP Software? If your RIP allows the option of "NORMAL DOT" or "FIXED DOT" then you may be able to use this in to get your 720dpi work out in the meantime - It will look slightly grainier than variable dot but should prevent the overspray.

Best of Luck!

Spencer McMurtry

update on issue (fixed)

the issue is fixed it turns out it was a bad head... later on the same head caused none of my heads to fire replaced the head and all fixed!

Thanks everyone,
Spencer