• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help magnet material and hp

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Does anyone here print consistently on magnet material? I have not done it and am curious about the outcome? any tips and tricks? I am making magnetic business cards for a customer and really want to produce a good product.
Also, any ideas on ways to cut through the magnetic material to make them look the most professional? the ones I have done in the past really came out shotty because it tears up the blades.
Thanks

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I know some people who do it with UV and Latex. Usually pretty good print quality. Ofc there's different options out there.

What printer are you using? Flatbed cutter?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We've done a few magnet projects - I made a 2021 calendar for our customers this Christmas. Anyway - we've done them a few different ways. We've direct printed on our Roland XR and our HP 550, as well as printing on vinyl and mounting (usually for vehicle magnets). I hand cut - so would not sign up for business cards :) . to round the corners, we have this nifty corner rounder - someone was recently selling one for $1 on ebay (it's probably sold by now).

When we were printing a ton on our Roland, it took a toll on the separation knife - we had to replace it a couple of times.

Dan360

My experience has been that it's better just to print vinyl and mount it. We used to direct print magnetic on our Roland all the time but the HP was hit and miss with it. Head strikes into the edge of magnetic material aren't pretty.

I cut small magnets into strips and then chop the stacks on our hydraulic paper cutter.

Haw

Speaking of magnetic sheets, what material are they made of? And is it laser cutter friendly? I have my doubts that it may be made of PVC.