• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making a 4'x8' single-sided outdoor sign using 6mm MaxMetal and applying a digitally printed full-size laminated graphic to the front side.

phototec

Making a 4'x8' single-sided outdoor sign using 6mm MaxMetal and applying a digitally printed full-size laminated graphic to the front side. How do you finish (treat) the outer edges to prevent the applied digital print from peeling from the edge over time?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

signheremd

We print onto OraCal 3951 Rapid Air or Avery MPI1105EZ and laminate the printed vinyl to the composite. Both are cast and are not wrap vinyl, so they do have a strong initial tack. Never treated the edges, just rolled the printed and laminated vinyl right on. Never had a problem. I would expect a calendared product would have more shrinkage, and a wrap vinyl less tack. But you can always take a heat gun and warm the vinyl along the edges after applying to help activate the adhesive.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Usually don't have a problem if the edge is left white. Any dark color we try and work into the design a white border.

1674482680980.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
I do the same thing that Accent Sign does...trim 1/8" all around. There's also edge trim you can buy, I've done that a couple times and you adhere it with some adhesive. I used something like this on rectangluar signs and I used some rubber stuff for an oval sign. I avoid it but sometimes certain signs just need a finishing touch.

1674489868326.png
1674489984821.png

I agree with Accent signs and Stacey K - leaving 1/8" or so around the vinyl works best for me, especially when the dibond sign I use has a couple rough edges along it.

2B

Depends
* Budget / Short term edge cut and done
* Longer life / want to look good. Overprint and edge (canvas) wrap to the back side

We only use edge trim cap on MDO or fluted ACM