• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

making clipart

dortonracing

Im wanting to know how you actually design something.. Do i draw it up and scan it in? or have a program that help do this. What i have done is drawed up a few things for are school football team, so do i just need to scan them in and clean them up, Or whats the best way to go about this? Thanks for the info.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The best way is to scan in your drawing and then hand vectorize it using the Bezier pen and other drawing tools in your program. Some prefer to make a finished drawing with a black Sharpie before scanning and then autotrace it. The quality will be higher and the cutting faster if you draw it by hand with the Bezier pen.

Pat Whatley

If the art is something with all fluid forms I usually draw it out as cleanly as possible as large as I can comfortably do on an 8.5" x 11" sheet (as large as my scanner can handle)

I scan it, autotrace it, then take a look at the nodes. A lot of times I can adjust the tracing options and get really good results. There are always a few points to correct, and a few to delete but you can get pretty close by starting with a large, clean drawing.

If the art is something with very geometric shapes I'll scan it, then redraw it using the different shape tools and pen drawing tools.

Jackpine

Same here.
If the art is something with all fluid forms I usually draw it out as cleanly as possible as large as I can comfortably do on an 8.5" x 11" sheet (as large as my scanner can handle)

I scan it, autotrace it, then take a look at the nodes. A lot of times I can adjust the tracing options and get really good results. There are always a few points to correct, and a few to delete but you can get pretty close by starting with a large, clean drawing.

If the art is something with very geometric shapes I'll scan it, then redraw it using the different shape tools and pen drawing tools.

Mainframe

Learn to use the bezier tools in your program, I suggest, Adobe illustrator or Corel. Scan in your artwork, place it in a page & force yourself to learn to draw over it, before you know it you will be able to vectorize most anything, quickly & cleanly.

OldPaint

i can take some JPEG into corel, and with the pen/line tool and mostly redraw it on the screen. simple shapes do good as scanned/vectored. if you have a TABLET/pen this is also great. i got a shareware program called TWISTED BRUSH..........its wild.