• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Master Vinyl Cutter problems

Good Morning,
Thank you for allowing me to be part of this site. It is tremendous and I am a bit embarrassed I haven't found it earlier.

I run a small shop up here in NH and recently I purchased a used Master XY 380P cutter to fulfill my requirements until I can fix my current cutter.
I am having a heck of a time getting the master to cut. I am using Corel 11 and Co-Cut pro and cant make it accept a job from my PC.
I am using the serial port as this is recommended from Master. The person I bought it from didn't have the original serial cable but I am hoping a new one from Radio Shack would work. In talking to Master support they indicated it "might" work but they couldn't guarantee it. So I have done what I believe to be everything possible but who knows. I might have missed something simple.
Is there anyone out there with experience with this product and similar issues with a possible resolution? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards, Central Signs

401Graphics

i had the same model cutter as my first cutter. Now i have a graphtec, and the master now collects dust.
But when i used the master cutter i would use a USB to serial adapter. I think it was a Belkin brand. The software i used was Sign Go Pro, and never used anything else to cut.

round man

you will need a null modem,rsc 232 compliant serial cable somewhere in the chain of ADAPTERS/CABLES,...some brand name cables call this an hp serial cable,..the plotter has to handshake with the computer in order to function and it can only do this with a bi directional communications utilized with the null modem/rsc 232/ hp type serial cables and or adapters

Tigertron

Roundman do youknow the pin outs on these null modem,rsc 232 compliant serial cable?

Google is your friend.

http://www.nullmodem.com/NullModem.htm

It is normally labeled as computer-to-computer serial cable or null modem.

I use those USB-serial dongles for quite a bit of stuff. Not all are the same. Get one that is ment to work with your operating system. Win7 64 is different than XP 32 bit. Make sure the driver is working under device manager. Also they tend to change com port numbers when plugged in different USB slots. You can force it in the properties.

Tigertron

Hehe. Somethings are just too difficult. So...

There are only 4 pins actually used (and rarely CD) but pins 2 & 3 are the main concern. A null modem cable will have pin 2 connected to pin 3 from one end to the other and vise-versa. And normally the same gender at each end.

If those pins are right you can expect the rest to be correct.

round man

the best and easiest way to be sure is to buy a cable that is labeled as such ,..they usually run under $20 and you will waste that much time in testing the pin outs with a tester,...

edited to add,... be sure not to buy an extension cable as they are 99.9% of the time straight thru cables and not null modem cables