• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Metal brushed aluminum dimensional letters removal on marble wall

Keep Austin Lit

I need a little help or suggestions on the safe way to remove these 24" dimensional letters from a marble wall. These letters are not stud mounted and from what I can tell; it looks like they either used vhb, silicone, liquid nail or a mixture of these. Problem #1 obviously is how to safely remove the letters without damaging the marble. I feel like I should pop or pull the letters to remove it straight out to avoid contact with the wall. Problem #2 is that the "A", the "G", and some of the "M" where the adhesive is located is super hard to have something pry underneath to be able to possibly put "fish line" or wire. My thought is to use wooden shims and carefully hammer them evenly all around to cause an even gap. And, then, possibly use metal or fish line wire to cut through the adhesive. I thank you for suggestion, help, and taking the time to help me out. Best, C.

Attachments

• 20210629_154436.jpg
    20210629_154436.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 198

SignosaurusRex

Done this many times.
You can sharpen a putty knife, the thinner the better.
Make sure it has a fine sharpening rather than course. Lightly rounded corners is also a must for the blade.
It is helpful to "Slick" the areas of the wall around and close to the letters with Mineral Oil or soap / water mix that wont evaporate to quickly.
The "slick" helps the handle of the putty knife glide the marble surface and protect from marring or abrasions.
You can use a horse-hide or wooden mallet with the putty knife to aid in cutting through the adhesives. Do not use a metal hammer!
Hopefully a contractor's adhesive such as "liquid nails" was NOT used. You certainly don't want a "Glue-Chipped Glass" effect happening to the marble.
If "Liquid Nails" or similar was in fact used, you may need to resort to using a very hot putty knife to gradually cut through it. This is were a propane torch comes in very handy again.
If you can use a "cutting" line... A very thin electric guitar string with handles attached to the ends works very well. Braided stainless steel fishing line is also good.

Keep Austin Lit

Removed tons like this.....I've always used a variety of putty knives and small pry/flat bars. Wooden shims to put pressure as you go is a good idea. Place a moving blanket on the floor in case one gets away from you.
Thank you so much for your advice!