• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki AS5 Ink- Any information?

Elwood Kinder

Mimaki's latest promotional offering for the JV100-160 includes a couple of sets of AS5 inks as well as other promotional items. It is my distributor's understanding that this promo will only work with the AS5 inks and SS21 cannot be substituted. We currently run a printer with SS21 ink set as well as another printer running ES3 inks and are pleased with both. However, I am having no luck finding information on AS5 inks anywhere. Our distributor is unfamiliar as well. Anyone familiar? Any recommendations or warnings would be appreciated!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The AS5 inks are super cheap compared to the SS21 but they are brand new so you probably will have a hard time finding a lot of user experience so far. I'm installing a new JV100 with the AS5 inks in about a week. Will be my first one with that ink set as it was just released in the US.

If I had to guess, the ES3 ink will require a flush to switch to AS5 for sure. The SS21 might not but I would definitely confirm before switching.

APCInk

Merchant Member
Mimaki's latest promotional offering for the JV100-160 includes a couple of sets of AS5 inks as well as other promotional items. It is my distributor's understanding that this promo will only work with the AS5 inks and SS21 cannot be substituted. We currently run a printer with SS21 ink set as well as another printer running ES3 inks and are pleased with both. However, I am having no luck finding information on AS5 inks anywhere. Our distributor is unfamiliar as well. Anyone familiar? Any recommendations or warnings would be appreciated!
Elwood-

The AS5 ink is a new more economy ink available for the JV100 only the MSRP on 600ML inks is $96.00 bringing your cost per sq ft down to roughly .16! Mimaki says the ink isn't meant to be as long term as the SS21 but is a great solution for shorter-term applications. The JV100 is a great printer BTW.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just confirmed with my Mimaki rep. Both SS21 and ES3 inks will need to be flushed to switch over. Also, the AS5 profiles are limited at the moment being so new.

Elwood Kinder

The AS5 inks are super cheap compared to the SS21 but they are brand new so you probably will have a hard time finding a lot of user experience so far. I'm installing a new JV100 with the AS5 inks in about a week. Will be my first one with that ink set as it was just released in the US.

If I had to guess, the ES3 ink will require a flush to switch to AS5 for sure. The SS21 might not but I would definitely confirm before switching.
We would be trading our SS21 Ink printer in on the new AS5 and will not be switching our ES3 printer over so flushing is not an issue. I HATE being a guinea pig! :)

Elwood Kinder

Yikes, APCink lost me at "isn't meant to be as long term as the SS21". We produce a lot of short term items but the old trusty SS21 can't be beat... Other than the HORRIBLE smell! Thank you all for your help!

Headstrike

Mimaki Wide Format Printer Services
AS5 is cheaper but to be honest has same quality as SS21.
The only difference is that you can only choose between 4 colors or 8 colors. No white or silver.