• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV150 Cutting Advice

chrissignnewbie

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the world of large format printers and cutters and I was hoping someone here could help shed some light on a potential issue I have.

We do mostly garment vinyl on our machine which does both the printing and the cutting. I want to start to offer vinyl stickers that are die cut using the half cut feature. I have spoken to my dealer of the machine and they have told me I need to change the cutting strip to a sponge strip and that I need to change the blade depth manually.

They have also told me that I need to change the cutting strip and the blade depth each time I swap from garment vinyl with normal weeding to the half cut vinyl stickers. Is this true as we're starting to get enough requests for the stickers that the work will be split 50/50. Surely there must be an easier/ quicker way of using the same kit for both options, or am I dreaming?

Any help would be appreciated

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can half cut with the normal cut strip. It just gets torn up a lot quicker than with regular use. The sponge strip is meant to last longer with the half cuts basically. You shouldn't have to manually adjust the blade either. Half cut simply kiss cuts the contour cut and cuts through the perforated areas. It's the machine adjusting the pressure as it cuts that perforates it and it should be able to do so with a normally installed blade. Mimaki does have cutters with two tracks and blade holders so you can switch easily but no printer/cutters like that.