• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV150 splashes ink around capping station when cleaning

Ogre

I bought a second hand Mimaki CJV150-160BS almost new with a fried motherboard that I fixed. The printer came with a lot of disassembled parts, all in a cardboard box and I am not sure if I did get them all.
When the printhead gets cleaned the rubber squeegee splashes ink everywhere around the capping station making a mess in a short period of time. The ink goes everywhere including the wires and I have to clean it monthly.
Now I have to replace the printhead and I took the opportunity to shoot a few pictures now that the area is less cluttered and before cleaning the mess.

I have attached a couple of pictures with the capping station area, hoping that maybe someone can tell me if I have a missing part that prevents ink splashing happening.

Thanks,
Mario

Attachments

• 20240402_135723.JPG
    20240402_135723.JPG
    653.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20240402_135750.JPG
    20240402_135750.JPG
    737.4 KB · Views: 56

Ogre

Could be clogged lines at your capping station not draining properly, try executing a Disway Wash and seeing if the lines are draining properly. Not uncommon for the lines to become partially or fully clogged.
Sorry, I had to keep my thread short and I did not explain why the capping station looks like that. The solvent showed in the capping is to prevent drying. The pump and the tubes are filled with cleaning liquid until printhead installation. When unclamping the tubes, the cleaning liquid drains very quick in approximately two-three seconds.
The splashes are coming from the rubber wiper. When printhead is wiped, there are always a few drops of ink that are splashed all over the place at the end of printhead traveling.
So, in your opinion there are not parts missing that prevent this?
Thanks.

Smoke_Jaguar

Make sure your wiper is set right, can adjust it in the service menu. If you have the setup guide, it should be in there. Could also be old built up ink in the wiper slot that isn't allowing it to seat down properly causing the blade to act like a slingshot for ink drops hanging out on the nozzle plate. Additionally, look at the underside of the head and look for chunks of old ink that might be interfering with wiper operation.

Ogre

Make sure your wiper is set right, can adjust it in the service menu. If you have the setup guide, it should be in there. Could also be old built up ink in the wiper slot that isn't allowing it to seat down properly causing the blade to act like a slingshot for ink drops hanging out on the nozzle plate. Additionally, look at the underside of the head and look for chunks of old ink that might be interfering with wiper operation.
Thanks. I will check again the wiper holder. Now that you say this, I will check the height of the wiper. Looks to me bit too high and that can explain the slingshot behaviour. Normally I keep the capping station very clean and I don't allow ink build ups.
Thanks for the tip.

Ogre

The mystery has been resolved. I found dried ink on the bottom of the wiper moving assembly. The wiper holder did not click while inserted leaving the wiper one-two millimeter higher that it should be. This created that slingshot effect splashing the ink everywhere during the cleaning phase.
Probably the previous owner never cleaned it.

Guerilla Grafix

The mystery has been resolved. I found dried ink on the bottom of the wiper moving assembly. The wiper holder did not click while inserted leaving the wiper one-two millimeter higher that it should be. This created that slingshot effect splashing the ink everywhere during the cleaning phase.
Probably the previous owner never cleaned it.
Nice!