• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mixing Vinyl brands on t-shirts

Clear Choice

Can I put different vinyl brands on the same t-shirt
even though the times and temperatures are
different?

For instance: I have Fibron Black that takes 345 F
and 20 sec. But the Siser Easy Weed green is 300
for 15 sec.

Will the extra heat and time cause problems with
the Siser?

TIA
Sue2

WildWestDesigns

That just adds different variables to the mix. Now if you are putting down the black first and than the green (which has the lower temp) than that might not be an issue. However, you still have to worry about how well it will adhere to the other brand.

I haven't really tried this with vinyl on shirts as I tend to use one brand anyway, once I find what I like, but for other products I do notice that while there might be some quality difference between two products from the same brand. There is a big difference between the same product between two different brands and parts don't translate all that well to the other.

Clear Choice

Why do you try it on a practice shirt and see.......????

Actually, I was trying to think ahead.

I've only purchased Thermoflex and Fibron (re-branded Thermoflex).
BUT, occasionally I see some good deals on the Siser EW and
I wondered if there would be problems using two vinlys on the
same shirt that have such different heat settings.

Maybe someone here has already tried it and could let us know
how it worked.

WildWestDesigns

Actually, I was trying to think ahead.

Sometimes you have to experiment on things yourself. Even if someone else has done it, they might have had to do other things that take practice to get the hang of.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but there are some things that do have to be done on your own.

Oddly enough, trying to think ahead has gotten me into trouble a time or two, not often, but it has.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Can I put different vinyl brands on the same t-shirt
even though the times and temperatures are
different?

For instance: I have Fibron Black that takes 345 F
and 20 sec. But the Siser Easy Weed green is 300
for 15 sec.

Will the extra heat and time cause problems with
the Siser?

TIA
Sue2

The times and temperatures give for various thermal material are ball park minimums. You can crank it up a bit for most any media with no ill effect.

But if you're really worried about it, do the high time and temperature media first then do the lower time/temperature media. That way you're not exposing the lower rated media to the higher rated environment.

binki

if you can put the one that has a higher temp on first. if not then that is ok, the temp will not affect the vinyl already on the shirt once it cools down.

just dont fold it until it is cold.

Mike_Koval

Mixing and matching vinyl is fine. I recommend pressing the higher temp first then the lower temp.

I would also recommend performing a test if possible as well. While most heat applied materials will work with the next brand, there is still a chance that it will not. Also be sure that when doing multi colors, be sure that the base layer is not a PVC based vinyl. PVC is is good for one color only.