• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1624 inconsistent black channels

element7

Good morning,

I've been chasing this issue for a bit and seeking a solution. I've changed out 2 sets of dampers for black, 3 different maintenance stations and can't get rid of this issue. No issues ever with any of the other colors, just the black channels.

The most recent maint station is OEM and has great resistance when drawing ink through with a syringe, but the black continues to print a broken pattern. I have tried soaking overnight, and not really any improvement. After many cleaning cycles, I can usually get the black to print ok to run a print, but then the second channel completely goes away again and have to run through many cycles, which uses a lot of ink. OEM Inks. This inconsistent pattern also results in banding for black/grey colors. The dampers are not OEM and that's going to be the next step, but wondering if anyone else has faced this? My prior Valuejet had the same issue, and we ended up purchasing this 1624 because we couldn't get the issue resolved.

Thank you,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4500.jpeg
    IMG_4500.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 302

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you're using the new Mutoh inks that come in the black ink cartridges, we've been seeing this problem in the DX5 based ValueJets. The solution is to switch to 3rd party ink.

element7

If you're using the new Mutoh inks that come in the black ink cartridges, we've been seeing this problem in the DX5 based ValueJets. The solution is to switch to 3rd party ink.
Yes, running the new Mutoh black cartridges, which also don't alert me when low. Reco on 3rd party ink?
Thank you for the reply

element7

So another update; I swapped out the dampers from the next channel over and black is printing solid in the new channel, but now my cyan/yellow are broken in the swapped channel. Assuming this means the printhead is fried?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yes, running the new Mutoh black cartridges, which also don't alert me when low. Reco on 3rd party ink?
Thank you for the reply

Bordeaux brand has worked well for us.

So another update; I swapped out the dampers from the next channel over and black is printing solid in the new channel, but now my cyan/yellow are broken in the swapped channel. Assuming this means the printhead is fried?

Not necessarily. What we've found is the black tends to slowly fail so if you can flush the black channel and get it printing like you mentioned above and then put the 3rd party inks in place, it should fix the issue. We think that the black just slowly clogs in the head which is why it can print in another channel for a while before showing the defect.

element7

Not necessarily. What we've found is the black tends to slowly fail so if you can flush the black channel and get it printing like you mentioned above and then put the 3rd party inks in place, it should fix the issue. We think that the black just slowly clogs in the head which is why it can print in another channel for a while before showing the defect.
Thank you for the information and your input. I've done a cap soak for an hour and it seemed to help, so did another for about 3 hours, got a little better and now letting it soak over night. I ordered B/M/C Bordeaux inks from you with overnight shipping, hoping we can get this resolved and onto the next print.

psbc2009

Thank you for the information and your input. I've done a cap soak for an hour and it seemed to help, so did another for about 3 hours, got a little better and now letting it soak over night. I ordered B/M/C Bordeaux inks from you with overnight shipping, hoping we can get this resolved and onto the next print.
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having problems with 2 1624X printers missing black nozzles. All other colors are fine.

humberto s

Thank you for the reply
I d aolso experienced troubles on new inks Mutoh bloking printhead channel. Dealer don t alert me for problems. do you use MS31 new mutoh inks?

humberto s

Hello. this is referring to the latest MS31 mutoh inks ? I had problems blocking noozles in new print head Dx5

psbc2009

Hello. this is referring to the latest MS31 mutoh inks ? I had problems blocking noozles in new print head Dx5
Yes new MS31 inks. Talked to Mutoh and they will admit to nothing. WE GOT SCREWED FOR RUNNING OEM INKS!! I have ran Mutoh printers for 15 years but will never buy another one. There was no reason to force this ink on us and it is a DAMN shame the problems it has caused. Both of my printers are pristine and work perfectly other than the blocked nozzles caused by the MS31 Gang. What a joke.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S