• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh MS31 ink changeover problem

modernimagesigns

I have a 7 year old Mutoh VJ-1624. It has been a workhorse. I perform all the maintenance (Cap station, head changes, faithful cleaning). I'm not sure if it is a machine problem or the switch over to the MS31 inks, but since the change, I no longer receive the low ink warning. After using this for so long, I have become dependent on that warning to change cartridge. The ink will run out, machine goes into shutdown, and I lose whatever I was printing (no chance of changing cartridge and picking up where it left off). Anyone else having this problem?

This is a common issue with the new black MS-31 cartridge. 220 and 440. The tab on the bottom that pops out and hits the ink end switch is not coming out Mutoh is aware and should be addressing it.

LenXIII

That's strange! We are still running a 1624 but we use the 1000ml bags. The low ink warning is hit and miss but if the machine does happen to run out of ink the printer doesn't stop. Are you getting a subtank empty error then? I can print for 30 minutes without an ink cartridge in without running out the subtank but I suppose if your printer keeps going far after the ink is empty that would be a problem.

One issue I have noticed with the MS31 ink is it's definitely much harsher on the machine. About 10 years ago we switched an old mutoh 1604 over to offbrand triangle inks for banner purposes only as it was considered our "throw away" machine - those inks would coagulate onto the wiper and sponge and create a film that looked like a layer of latex. It made cleaning difficult if you didn't do it frequently. The normal mutoh inks before the MS31 were great - if you didn't clean all week it was easy to clean and wiped off like a layer of thick dust. The MS31 inks create more of a film similar to the offbrand inks which means they are going to "gunk up" things quicker and require you to probably have to replace the cleaning assembly twice as often. I just hope they don't clog up the dampers too soon. I really don't know how I feel about these MS31 inks though the print quality is just as good. There's no way to determine longevity until I've had prints out there 8-10 years though.

humberto s

That's strange! We are still running a 1624 but we use the 1000ml bags. The low ink warning is hit and miss but if the machine does happen to run out of ink the printer doesn't stop. Are you getting a subtank empty error then? I can print for 30 minutes without an ink cartridge in without running out the subtank but I suppose if your printer keeps going far after the ink is empty that would be a problem.

One issue I have noticed with the MS31 ink is it's definitely much harsher on the machine. About 10 years ago we switched an old mutoh 1604 over to offbrand triangle inks for banner purposes only as it was considered our "throw away" machine - those inks would coagulate onto the wiper and sponge and create a film that looked like a layer of latex. It made cleaning difficult if you didn't do it frequently. The normal mutoh inks before the MS31 were great - if you didn't clean all week it was easy to clean and wiped off like a layer of thick dust. The MS31 inks create more of a film similar to the offbrand inks which means they are going to "gunk up" things quicker and require you to probably have to replace the cleaning assembly twice as often. I just hope they don't clog up the dampers too soon. I really don't know how I feel about these MS31 inks though the print quality is just as good. There's no way to determine longevity until I've had prints out there 8-10 years though.
My valuejet 1614E with new printhead DX5 clogged on a mouth on new MS31 mutoh inks

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've hit 3 in a row within this month of the 'cart out of ink' failures. Called the distributor - said no one else had a problem, he checked with Mutoh and it has all been resolved and I should be fine.
Nothing they can do about the ruined prints when the printer stopped in the middle of a run with a sub-tank error......

qttire1

I have a 8 yr old 1324 printer and have only had to replace the maintenance station once. I have to switch over to ms31 ink because others were discontinued. I only replaced the magenta and cyan and those are the colors that are not printing now. My black and yellow are very low and have the ms31 inks to replace but now I have to find another solution. I was getting ready to change the printhead until I found this post, now I know the ms31 inks are the problem. Does anyone have another brand of ink that works?

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a 8 yr old 1324 printer and have only had to replace the maintenance station once. I have to switch over to ms31 ink because others were discontinued. I only replaced the magenta and cyan and those are the colors that are not printing now. My black and yellow are very low and have the ms31 inks to replace but now I have to find another solution. I was getting ready to change the printhead until I found this post, now I know the ms31 inks are the problem. Does anyone have another brand of ink that works?
We've been seeing issues with mostly the black on the older ValueJets. We've switched most of those customers over to Bordeaux inks.

humberto s

Hello.

I have a valuejet 1614 , I got a new print head a few months ago and with the ms31 ink it partially covered some nuts, the other colors the head is ok with the old inks. I have to put new paints and I'm also afraid that the new ms31 will cover up the other colors. sos naozeles tataparm all or were only a few (10) left with missdirection? Did you change the head or is it still the old head?fizeram reclamação ao vendedor das tintas, se sim o que disseram? heres the pdf tech new inks MS31 if it helps you

humberto s

sorry. PDF here. One more question ..what country are you?

Attachments

• MS31_Technical_Bulletin_final.pdf
    171.8 KB · Views: 173

seventynine

I have a 1604x ValueJet, keep the printer pretty clean have slowly over the past few months been having more and more problems with clogged nozzles on Cyan and Black. Also had a yellow run out with no low ink warning. Seeing this thread make me wonder if it is the MS31 inks because it seems like not too long after the changeover is when the issues started. I've soaked the printhead with no luck so it looks like I will have to replace it.