• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My 3D printer saved me $500 on my L360 power switch.

Subysti

So my L360 front panel power button stopped working a while ago. Wasn't a huge deal as I just open the cover to wake it up. I wanted to get in to diag mode which requires the front power button. After removing the screen bezel I found the switch worked fine but the .02 plastic part around it was broken. Wouldn't you know it but you can only get that part with a whole new screen replacement. Found cheap used ones for $500 and they also looked to have a broken part around switch. Well I printed my own for about .10c worth of filament. If anyone needs one I believe they fit all the 300 series printers and I will make some and send them out for the cost of shipping. Here's a pic of the factory part an my printed part before I pulled all the little hairs off.

Attachments

• L360 power switch.jpg
    L360 power switch.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 239

cornholio

While you really needed to buy the whole screen unit before, this part alone can now be ordered from HP as well.

logotogogo

So my L360 front panel power button stopped working a while ago. Wasn't a huge deal as I just open the cover to wake it up. I wanted to get in to diag mode which requires the front power button. After removing the screen bezel I found the switch worked fine but the .02 plastic part around it was broken. Wouldn't you know it but you can only get that part with a whole new screen replacement. Found cheap used ones for $500 and they also looked to have a broken part around switch. Well I printed my own for about .10c worth of filament. If anyone needs one I believe they fit all the 300 series printers and I will make some and send them out for the cost of shipping. Here's a pic of the factory part an my printed part before I pulled all the little hairs off.
That is freakin' awesome! Shipping only will beat ordering from HP any day! Thanks Hero of the day!

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Now this is a benefit I can see with having in-house 3D printing capabilities! How did you set up the part - you have to 3D scan it? (Forgive my ignorance on the whole process)

Gettin'By

I think you can extrude an SVG and convert that to an .STL or .OBJ. Never done it myself but pretty sure I've read about it. I have done some light design work in Tinkercad as well. It's free and a little limited, but it does work.

JBurton

Signtologist
You can build it from scratch with a mic for dimensions, I usually draw the shape in corel, export a dxf, and build up depth from there in something like sketchup, though there are much better applications for this.
I too am curious how OP went about it.

Subysti

just used tinkercad online. its a pain to use but free. Haven't learned how to use corel for 3D design.

Subysti

While you really needed to buy the whole screen unit before, this part alone can now be ordered from HP as well.
I went to HP's website and they didn't have a part number or listing for just this part. tried calling as well and was on hold over an hour before i gave up.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well if someone else is looking for it in the future it's below. Like $15 not even insanely expensive.

M0E29-67117

ikarasu

When ours broke on our 560.... we needed a whole new screen as well. It was under warranty so we got it for free.... and had a backup screen incase something happened to ours, so I'm not complaining!

I can see why HP decided to sell the part by itself... I bet they lost more on warranty replacements than they gained on others having to buy a screen.

lvking

Premium Subscriber
Hi, have the same issue and be glad to buy one of yours. Let me know what you want with shipping to 18013