• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nebie: Suggestions on DC4

SignZone

I live in a small town in Northern Ontario and bought a sign business from a friend. Being a Young Entrepreneur I received a Grant to purchase new equipment. The business already uses a Summa D120 cutter with flexi-soft 7.5 pro. To advance the technology I'm using the grant money to purchase an DC4. I looked at ink-solvent but I work at home and both my wife and daughter have breathing trouble and any fumes hurt the lungs.

So that being said, my main business is in servicing the mines in the area and signage for businesses. I want to get into the home consumer more and offer vehicle wraps and also wall murals. I'm having trouble finding information on what materials will work in the DC4 on different applications. At this time I'm using Oracal vinyl. They have the Orajet line, will some of these vinyls work or should I use 3M licensed vinyl.

Another question is should I get another computer, or can I multi-task while there is a job going to the machine.

I'm hoping to receive the machine at the end of September. If I have anymore questions I will post them.

Thanks.

Pro Image

Howdee from VA....................

The Orajet line will work and I think you can print on just about any vinyl with it also............I THINK......lol

PGSigns

The machine does not like dirty vinyl. I buy alot of my material straight from Summa and the prices are competitive. I have printed on several other types of media and Oracal 651 works good but you have to clean it before you run it through the printer. If your supplier handles FDC products FDC will clean the material for thermal printing and drop ship it to you. If you plan on doing wraps I would not pick this machine the time it takes to print large panels makes it hard to tolerate. Once you get it go to Summa.be and down load the latest user profiles for the media. They have a good one for intermediate. Your ability to multi task will greatly depend on the computer you have. You need to get a copy of Corel draw X3 and get used to it if you don't have it sine that is what Summa's printer controls runs through.
Jimmy

SignZone

Thank you so far the the suggestions.

I do have Corel Draw X3 and trying to get use to it. Reading alot of books and tutorials to help.

I have for a computer a P4 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM, 512 MB Gforce video card and 120GB SATA HD.