• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a favor - download pdf template and return results

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I've created a fillable pdf workorder for our sign shop. Designed in CorelDRAW then saved as pdf. Opened pdf in Acrobat Pro 9 and used the create form option. Added various form fields. We've been using this form successfully for a couple of years now but now something flakey is happening. We're troubleshooting to figure out what alternatives we can use. It's suspected that Acrobat Pro 9 is outdated and possibly the form needs to be re-created using a newer version or some other software altogether. What I would like is for someone to download the form, fill in some random info, and check off a few boxes (red checks or boxes will appear) then save and upload here for testing. Just simply trying to rule out Acrobat as the culprit.
It would helpful to know what software you used.

Attachments

• _workorder form_fillable_9-21-2021.pdf
    579.6 KB · Views: 159

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I love making electronic forms. (I'm a geek) Here is mine...

I used Acrobat reader DC

Attachments

• _workorder form_fillable_BoudicaTest.pdf
    560.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 1655761574997.png
    1655761574997.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Scotchbrite

No comment
If you just tab thru the order is kinda goofy. I'm running Acrobat X Pro.

Attachments

• _workorder form_fillable_9-21-2021.pdf
    601.4 KB · Views: 126

myront

CorelDRAW is best
If you just tab thru the order is kinda goofy. I'm running Acrobat X Pro.
Thanks for the test pdf. Just as I suspected it doesn't have anything to do with our antiquated software (Acrobat Pro 9.0.0) Your pdf produced the same undesired result.

A little background.
We use trello for tracking our jobs. When attaching these workorder pdf's to the cards they are essentially, for security purposes, viewed first as thumbnails. If by chance anyone needs to make a correction/change the pdf would have to be actually downloaded. Trouble is about 10 days ago we noticed that the pdf thumbnails no longer show all those form fields with the red checks and such. All the typed data is fine. They will show correctly once downloaded. Really you want both those ugly fonts and laminated 5 different ways and uh.....dark white? lol.

My theory is that the latest Google Chrome has determined that those must create some sort of security issue and put a stop to it. I can't confirm it though. I've put in a bug report with Google Chrome developers but haven't received any kind of feedback as of yet. I also have a ticket in with trello to see if some change was implemented on their end.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks for the test pdf. Just as I suspected it doesn't have anything to do with our antiquated software (Acrobat Pro 9.0.0) Your pdf produced the same undesired result.

A little background.
We use trello for tracking our jobs. When attaching these workorder pdf's to the cards they are essentially, for security purposes, viewed first as thumbnails. If by chance anyone needs to make a correction/change the pdf would have to be actually downloaded. Trouble is about 10 days ago we noticed that the pdf thumbnails no longer show all those form fields with the red checks and such. All the typed data is fine. They will show correctly once downloaded. Really you want both those ugly fonts and laminated 5 different ways and uh.....dark white? lol.

My theory is that the latest Google Chrome has determined that those must create some sort of security issue and put a stop to it. I can't confirm it though. I've put in a bug report with Google Chrome developers but haven't received any kind of feedback as of yet. I also have a ticket in with trello to see if some change was implemented on their end.

Have you tested it in Firefox or (gag) Microsoft Edge to confirm that it's an issue w/ Chrome?

I guess another option/workaround would be to export PDF form as an image after all info is inputted so it can be easily be viewed/previewed but not edited on Trello.

I'm sure a script could be made/found to somewhat automate the process.

Just a couple thoughts.

Scotchbrite

No comment

A little background.
I stopped short of requesting Arial.....

For what it is worth, I downloaded the file and filled it out.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Have you tested it in Firefox or (gag) Microsoft Edge to confirm that it's an issue w/ Chrome?

I guess another option/workaround would be to export PDF form as an image after all info is inputted so it can be easily be viewed/previewed but not edited on Trello.

Just a couple thoughts.
No good with edge either.
Creating an image isn't ideal for the best workflow but we have resorted to that in the meantime. We may even implement using a tablet to "pencil" in the workorders and then save as pdf for upload to trello.

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.

White Haus is on the right track except exporting the PDF as an image the PDF form data can be exported in a simple text / csv or spreadsheet data type. Trello is supposed to be able to import such simple data using free plugins.

The PDF data form in question is correct in using its booleans but the check mark symbols are not interpreted correctly in Trello, or its thumbnails at least.

Typically, standard Acrobat PDF forms are not at all ideal to be used for what normally would require related data tables such as line items. Acrobat requires its next level app called LiveCycle Designer for the task. (I don't know its status these days.)

Myron might consider reworking the form and workflow to include work order numbers to identify both just the header for each job and then separate line items using the same number but including a line item number as a suffix. Each Trello card would have minimal data of the customer but rather complete specs for the individual line item.

Any and all data from the PDF form can be exported and imported to practically any other software necessary because it's in such a simple format.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Update, I tried creating the form thru the various free online form creators. Using mine as a template but replacing my acrobat checkboxes with ones generated from the particular online creator. I then download as a pdf to my pc them upload to trello. Same result, no checkbox fields show as "checked".

My co-worker downloaded our form on her galaxy phone and used a stylus to hand write the text fields and just circle some of the checkboxes instead. Then save the file as pdf and upload to trello. That seemed to work just fine but we'd have to purchase tablets for every user (approx 7).

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Update

"Suzie M commented:

Hi Myron,

I just received word from the engineers, and they could identify a possible cause for the issue. While I don't have an ETA on when a fix for the issue will be pushed, we will deploy it as soon as one is available.

Once we have more information, we’ll follow up with you directly.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Sincerely,
Suzie.
Trello Support Team."