• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help! Deleting old graphics ghost letters

AlexV

Hello Everyone!!

I need some tips/advice on how we can remove/delete some old letter marks left after removing the old vinyl. See picture below

I think some people call it "Ghost Letters"

image0.jpg

Attachments

• 20140808w_vinyl09.jpg
    20140808w_vinyl09.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 731

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
looks like the paint oxidized around the old lettering. You could try buffing it out, but even then it may not go away entirely

unclebun

That's fiberglass up there. What you're seeing is that the gelcoat behind the letters is still glossy and new, while the gelcoat around it has been sun damaged and turned chalky. Buffing can bring the shine of the dull gelcoat back up and hide the evidence of the old lettering. The hard part is figuring out where to stop.

We don't do the finish repair from sun fading like this. We always warn the customer this will happen after a long time in the sun, and refer them to a paint/body or detail shop to have it done.

d fleming

Instead of rubbing compound try glaze. Comes in three grades. I use it on semi doors from time to time to get rid of ghosting. Never gets 100% but usually looks much better and happier customer for a little more effort and time that you get to charge for.

Ghost Off from CT is decent solution on sheet and post trailers pending age and condition trailers I haven't used it on fiberglass. With Boats and FOB, we have had good results with rubbing compound and rewax in addition to a product called Star Brite Color Restorer. Due to the multitude of variables, we decided to stick to Decal Removal ONLY. We don't WASH or DETAIL any surface and always point out the difference before any project.