• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help networking Roland SP-540V!!! Please!

Was on the phone yesterday for 4 hours with our tech guys. They could not figure out the problem, I've tryed hooking the printer up via xover cable direct to the computer and tryed hooking it up into the network switch with a regular network cable. If anybody is familiar with versaworks and networking please PM me.

Thank you,

Trevor

Well I have installed Intercon Net tool. And even when I seem to be able to get this to recignize the printer, versaworks still wont connect to it.

There seems to be a subnet conflict or an IP conflict but I can't find it because none of the other computers share the same IP.

I have tryed hooking the printer directly to the RIP computer as well as the network swtich. Still can't get it to print today. Yesterday I had the network and the printer working. Came in this morning and it wouldn't see the printer...

ChiknNutz

I've had that problem too where it seems to 'lose' it's identity. Came down to simply rebooting everything...printer inclusive. I don't use VW, so can't offer guidance specific to that program.

I did just run through it all. I have tryed assigning probably 10 different IP's to the printer and too the network card that has the cross over cable going to the printer. Nothing seems to work.

InterCon net tool can see the printer and change the IP, I've configured my zone alarm fire wall to allow that IP many times.

Should the IP of the printer be the same as the Network card? I dont' think so...

Right now the network submask is 255.255.255.0

I've got the printer setup as 192.168.200.200
And the Wired card to the computer 192.168.200.202

The wireless card that goes to the office network is 192.168.0.110
and it's subnet is 255.255.255.0

None of the other computers on the network share the same IP as eachother.

I've got the wired card set to optain IP manual, and the wireless card is set to optain IP automaticaly.

ChiknNutz

Nope, but the printer should be a number all it's own yet still on in the same 'range' as your other stuff....i.e. 192.168.2.10 (PC 1), 192.168.2.11 (PC 2), 192.168.2.12 (SP-540), etc.....

I have all mine going thru a simple switch.

Well I've had them on the same range.

Printer set to - 192.168.002.100

Nforce network Card set to - 192.168.200.202

Is this close enough range? I'm not getting this range deal....and the guy on the phone yesterday was no help.

I can access the network via wireless no problem. The guy on the phone said that I might want to uninstall the wireless netwrok card and setup the printer to work, then install the wireless network card for the office network. Though this shouldn't matter I wouldn't think if all my settings are correct.

ChiknNutz

I let all the components use DHCP, so they all choose their own addresses, with the exception of the printer which you have to set in NetTool.

What I might suggest, though I am far from a network person, is to let everything use DHCP and then shut everything down. Power up the computer (or computers) then check to see what IP address they choose. Then, go into NetTool and enter that same IP address but change the last number to something close to the same as the others. Say they all end with .101, .102 and .103. Enter .104 or .105 for the printer. Also ensure that the firewall is set to allow this IP range....like from .100 thru .120 or something.

Not saying that this is sure fire to work, but I've battled this a bit a while back and ended up doing this and it's been fine for a few months now.

SignBurst PCs

I think that we got this figured out.

He has two different networks going there. One between his computer and printer and another between his computer and the router (Internet). He needed to put both of his network adapters on different IP / Subnets (192.xxx.xxx.xxx and 10.xxx.xxx.xxx). If you have them both on the same (i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx), then the computer gets confused about where to go for which network (trying to get to the Internet through his printer or trying to get to his printer through the router/Internet).

I know this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to those that aren't "geeks", but if helps anyone, might as well post it.

SignBurst PCs

I let all the components use DHCP, so they all choose their own addresses, with the exception of the printer which you have to set in NetTool.

What I might suggest, though I am far from a network person, is to let everything use DHCP and then shut everything down. Power up the computer (or computers) then check to see what IP address they choose. Then, go into NetTool and enter that same IP address but change the last number to something close to the same as the others. Say they all end with .101, .102 and .103. Enter .104 or .105 for the printer. Also ensure that the firewall is set to allow this IP range....like from .100 thru .120 or something.

Not saying that this is sure fire to work, but I've battled this a bit a while back and ended up doing this and it's been fine for a few months now.

IMHO, this is an OK way to set things up, but can be a recipe for disaster.

Unless you have multiple computers with RIP software installed and printing to the same printer, then you are much better off installing an additional network adapter and setting up a direct ip connection (using a cross-over cable or a high quality switch and standard ethernet cables) between your RIP computer and printer. It takes a lot of variables out of the situation and will make for more reliable and stable printing.

ChiknNutz

No kidding huh? Like I said, I make no claims when it comes to networking. It is and has been working, but could take a dump at any moment for all I know. Thanks for the advice, it has been duly noted.

P

ProWraps™

I think that we got this figured out.

He has two different networks going there. One between his computer and printer and another between his computer and the router (Internet). He needed to put both of his network adapters on different IP / Subnets (192.xxx.xxx.xxx and 10.xxx.xxx.xxx). If you have them both on the same (i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx), then the computer gets confused about where to go for which network (trying to get to the Internet through his printer or trying to get to his printer through the router/Internet).

I know this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to those that aren't "geeks", but if helps anyone, might as well post it.

uh yeah, that would do it.