• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need high res map

mark galoob

i am needing a hi res map for the back of a business card.

im re dooing bus card for cust. and the original has what looks like a google map on back. is there any way to do this, or any place i can buy it...

thanks in advance...

mark galoob

ps, i have tried copying from google map...does not work, to low res
i have tried scanning a mapsco page, does not work.
i have tried printing from google map. too low res does not work...

Brandon708

I have done this by putting the map (google map) on the computer screen just how you want it on the business card then hit Print Screen on your keyboard the paste in into your program.

P.s something as small as a business card doesn't need to be "high resolution"

signswi

Well that's not exactly true you still need 300dpi or more depending on your offset vendor. "High resolution" is a meaningless phrase but hitting print screen isn't going to cut it in most scenarios. If you full screened on a 1920x1200 resolution monitor or so you'd get enough pixel data, but that's not particularly legal as you're using Google intellectual property for commercial purposes without permission in a method outside of their terms of use.

Any particular reason you haven't just recreated the map in Illustrator?

dasnootz

In the premium section, there's a thread in the Tips and Tricks section about Illustrator Tutorials. One of the tutorials is about making maps.

Biker Scout

Use the USGS Maps. High Res. There are a couple of places online that have almost all of them for free. I think the one I used to use was called topozone.com

anotherdog

I know what you need, We do them for customers all the time. there is really no alternative but to draw a map. We use the google map as a template, sometimes even keeping the same colors.

There are a lot of tutorials out there, particularly for illustrator.

weaselboogie

A redrawn map would be a much cleaner than a satellite shot especially something small on a business card.

This is the latest 'map-type' thing that I did for our local fair. I used a google map shot and built everything on top.

Attachments

• Fair Map.jpg
    Fair Map.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 97