• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need new printer to print mostly paper

M@CK

Hey guys,

Just doing a quick check on the recommendations I can get here. I got some new customers that require printed posters on paper mostly 10pt, but I do get some request for some more heavy stuff like 18pt, 24pt and 38pt stock. I currently mount vinyl for those.

I need something that will do a respectable resolution with enough speed to turn out about 200 24x36 in about 72 hours.

I'm currently scraping by with a mimaki JV3-250sp but barely. I usually print 8 feet banners on this printer. So we are switching ball game and need some recommendations...

I considered Epson GS6000, the speed looks good, but it wont print directly on the heavier stuff. I also considered a flatbed or hybrid UV but right now, those are mostly out of my financial reach in the new.
Maybe their is something used I should bee looking for ?
any particular model ?

I'd like to keep it as versatile as possible, and not to big.

wes70

Have you looked at the HP z6100 or Canon 8300? I have the HP z2100 which has onboard profiling like the z6100, but mine is not made for heavy commercial use like the z6100.

Slamdunkpro

Some of the older straight through Epsons would print on Epson art board, but I've never seen roll inkjet material thicker than 10mil. I think you'd need a true flat bed to print directly on 38pt (1/2") material.

G-Artist

38 point is nowhere near 1/2".

Point is another name for a mil. A mil is 0.001 inch. If my math is correct, that is ever
so slightly over 3/8" of an inch.

PGSigns

38 point stock is no where close to 3/8" it's .038 thick. I have also been getting more request for posters so I am also interested in what you guys think. I have been looking at the HP Z series and they look nice but how are they holding up?
Jimmy

mac_man_luke

If printing paper is important then buy a water based machine, far easier to work with eg no drying issues like solvent on paper.

I epsons are good but maybe too slow, i know the roland RS640 can be run with water based inks and maybe some mimakis?

Slamdunkpro

38 point stock is no where close to 3/8" it's .038 thick. I have also been getting more request for posters so I am also interested in what you guys think. I have been looking at the HP Z series and they look nice but how are they holding up?
Jimmy

I was always taught that there were 72 points to the inch, but whatever. Back to the issue at hand, I've still never seen aqueous inkjet paper roll stock thicker than .010. If anyone has a source for a thicker aqueous paper I'd be interested in knowing what it is as I get requests for thicker stock from time to time.

speedneeds

:thread
Kind of off topic, but here is a list of paper weights.

Attachments

• paper weight list.jpg
    paper weight list.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 115

M@CK

I don't think the Z series printers from HP nor the Stylus from Epson (except maybe the GS6000) will work for this, they are aqueous based ink so its not really colorfast and requires special coated media that are expensive compared to what I currently get in the solvent market.

I thought that UV was more suitable for this type of work. Plus it can print on really cheap coated or uncoated offset paper.

Thanks for the recommendations.

sjm

I don't think the Z series printers from HP nor the Stylus from Epson (except maybe the GS6000) will work for this, they are aqueous based ink so its not really colorfast and requires special coated media that are expensive compared to what I currently get in the solvent market.

I thought that UV was more suitable for this type of work. Plus it can print on really cheap coated or uncoated offset paper.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Print on an uncoated adhesive bond and slap it to the card stock.

noregrets

Go waterbased

If you are just going to be printing paper stock, then go for an aqueous printer. While I have not seen the HP in action, I have heard it is a pretty good printer. Personally, I would recommend a Canon, you may be able to pick up a second hand W8400 or the likes very cheap. Make sure it has pigment and not dye inks and you will be fine.

I have a Canon W8400 and an IPF9100, as well as a few Epsons. For speed, I would definitely go with the Canon, infact for anything I would go with the Canon, they have been pretty good all round machines.

Yes you do need coated media, but for posters and the like it is not expensive and is readily available