• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Flatbed Printer: Swissqprint oryx

Burtoncorp

This is basically a re-worked Zund 215. I guess the print quality is great but price is a bit steep. I was told 210K base w/ 4 printheads. I would wait for the new faster Oce machine coming in a few months.

miltondavis

Thanks for input burtoncorp- And after adding on all the bells and whistles we reach high 200's to 300k. I agree on the oce- its got the longer track record- how much faster is the new oce?

Burtoncorp

Oce could either be adding more CA4 heads or go with the new CE2 head with more channels to get the added speed. They would probably go with the latter due to the cost of re-engineering the print carriage and all of the peripherals.

The CE2 head is native 300 dpi vs 150 dpi for the CA4 head. This would give you the same ink density at roughly half the passes. As for price, who knows, if the print speed doubles, the list price will reflect that.

This is just a guess at what the new machine will be, but they need to bring the speeds up if they want to break into the larger sign shops & wholesalers running Vuteks, Gandi's, etc...

Zoomer55

SwissQprint Oryx info

Sorry for the delay in posting info on the Oryx, I just forgot about it.

The Oryx is a Swiss made machine that as stated in previous post has it roots in the Zund UVjet printers. When Zund announce in late 2007 that they would not make printers anymore the 3 main engineers started SwissQprint in Dec. 2007.

BTW - Zund had qty 15 UVjet 250s on order in 2007 when they made their announcement. How many do you think were canceled after the announcement? Answer - None. All the machines were delivered because the 250 was a very good printer and used 250s are in high demand in Europe.

The same people who made that machine that users love now make the Oryx and they brought the good stuff with them. The Zund print software, Amber, is driving the Oryx, the Zund 250 substrate bed registration and adjustable vacuum (1" to 99") is on the Oryx vacuum bed (99"x59"). The design of the Oryx shows the 10+ years of engineering experience the principals brought from Zund.

Other features come from them being at Zund, like the Oryx's 2" wide steel band that moves the carriage on the beam is a similar design to the Zund cutter's carriage. Multiple encoders on the beam for the carriage position and on the left and right side of the beam track to keep the beam perfectly square to the table resulting in great print quality.

The base printer can be purchased as a 4 color 4 head (Knoica/Minolta) machine. The carriage has 16 heads locations so you can start with a base machine and add to it. The price of the options is roughly the same as the price differential i.e. 4 color 8 head (2 head/color) is X more than the base 4 head machine. Adding the 4 heads later adds X plus an install charge.

Typically the machine has been sold in Europe (75-80 units) as a 2 head per color machine with 50% being 4 color and the others 6 color. The Oryx also has positions for white heads and spot/varnish heads. About half the machines have the roll to roll option as well, which is a 99" wide roll so you can print full 8 foot wide banners. Also with the roll to roll you can print larger substrates up to 16 feet long, so a 5x10 or 5x12 is no problem.

Print speeds are from 129 to 828 SF/H with normal production at 193, 269 & 408 SF/H. Resolutions are typically 720x720 and 360x720.

Pricing starts at under $200K. The printer is built in the Swiss tradition and as such will not be the lowest cost capital machine on the market. It will be one of the lowest labor cost machines as it is easy to use and has the tools to print full bleed finished size prints eliminating labor intensive finishing requirements. Trimming is far cheaper when there is no ink on the media.

As the 1st dealer in NA to import and sell a UV flatbed printer in 2001 I have had some experience with print heads and UV ink. The Oryx is always keeping the heads wet with slight misting even when the machine is turned off. IMO this will make the heads last longer than other machines, possibly years longer.

The Oryx will endure the test of time as most Swiss stuff does. The way it is built you will not be looking for a replacement printer in 5 years.

You can see more info at www.wp-digital.com/index.php?id=171&L=1 .

Please feel free to contact me about the Oryx printers. If you are in the east I can get you in touch with our East Regional Manager.

Bill Grambsch
Western Regional Sales Manager
WP Digital
201-675-3334
bgrambsch@polytypeamerica.com