• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Graphtec FC9000 using Onyx | Cut starting point

InkHead

Back with another question... We just received a new Graphtec FC9000 today and I have got it put together, cutting and barcodes working with Onyx. We have Summa S2 but this is our first Graphtec and I'm a little stumped on the order it is cutting decals. I configured this thing right away for barcodes and have only tried cutting with barcodes which seems to work fine but the order it is cutting seems weird. Let me explain... Lets say I have 25 decals I printed and it has the registration marks with barcodes. When I load the media on the Graphtec and press the "Barcode" button, I set the tool right in front of the barcode. Hit enter and it does its thing scan the barcode at the bottom right then it goes around and finally scans the barcode on the top left. All good to this point Once it scans that top left barcode, it starts cutting the decal that is on the top left corner and then basically feeds the media backwards as it cuts the next row and so on. Why does it do it this way?

Is there a setting where it starts from the front of the media and continues up

InkHead

Could it be the "sort cut paths" setting?

Screenshot 2023-01-12 230646.png

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Look at the barcode you are reading first... the last letter will be either an F (front) or B (back). If the leading edge of the print is the back side first, it will start from the furthest point and work towards the leading edge.

InkHead

Look at the barcode you are reading first... the last letter will be either an F (front) or B (back). If the leading edge of the print is the back side first, it will start from the furthest point and work towards the leading edge.
just looked at the piece I cut yesterday and I do see the F and B. Based on the scrap media left over from my test, I have no idea which way I put the media in since the cut shapes were circles. I'll try again today but I must have put the F side of the barcode towards the back which is why it cut from the top left first. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

On the Summas, it always starts cutting from the front no matter which way you put the media in.

InkHead

That was it. Back side first and was cutting towards the leading edge. Now how do you change how it prints. It prints with B coming out the printer first. So by the time it goes on the take up reel, core moved to the laminator and webbed through and laminated back onto the core, it will be B (back) first

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I think it cuts in the correct direction if you don't use the barcode function and just send the job from CutServer and enable 180 degree rotation on the job.

ikarasu

I think it cuts in the correct direction if you don't use the barcode function and just send the job from CutServer and enable 180 degree rotation on the job.
If that's the case, you can always click the file in cut server, rotate it and save it and it should read it as rotated via barcode as well.

Not the most elegant solution though! Would be nice if you could just print it rotated to begin with.

InkHead

If that's the case, you can always click the file in cut server, rotate it and save it and it should read it as rotated via barcode as well.

Not the most elegant solution though! Would be nice if you could just print it rotated to begin with.
Interesting. I'll have to try this.

Surprised this isn't a bigger issue with the amount of shops that do decals/stickers. Why would anyone want to cut from back to front.

InkHead

haha you are probably right.

Well I still have Flexi for another 4 days so I tried it and guess what... Front comes out first like its supposed to. Honestly I may just stick with Flexi. I find it much easier to use and to me it seems to have a lot more options/control in the Rip. But I still need to test barcode reading and printing white.

Appreciate the help guys!

ikarasu

I found printing white with Flexi was much easier than doing it in onyx. Don't get me wrong... once you set onyx up to do it, its not hard - but flexi was designed more for beginners it seems...

When we first got white, I played with onyx for an hour - I could only get onyx to do spot colors, not sandwich mode - Decided to try our flexi out and see if it'd work, and it instantly printed SWB mode without messing with it much, got it on the first try. Now that onyx is setup, it's not hard to do... but going from knowing nothing about printing white, to jumping right in... onyx felt like expert mode compared to flexi with the setup.

Barcodes work great with flexi - They made CM4, so theyre pretty experienced in graphtec stuff. I personally hate flexi because I'm used to onyx - but if you're used to flexi, theres nothing wrong with it

InkHead

We have been using Flexi for years now and are pretty versed in it. We use the subscription model now but have no issues at all with it.

We just purchased an S80600L which came with Onyx Thrive. So figured we might as well try that since it came bundled with the printer. Come to find out it does not have any profiling ability and is only a 1 printer, 1 Cutter setup. So it's been stripped of features normal Thrive comes with. There is like an $800 upgrade to get profiling ability and much more to add other cutters and printers.

So adding all that stuff, the learning curve and the damn barcodes coming out back first kind of sucks. We will see

I would use Onyx, I am purchasing the S80600L and the purchase is coming with the full version of Onyx. Who did you purchase your printer through,

InkHead

I would use Onyx, I am purchasing the S80600L and the purchase is coming with the full version of Onyx. Who did you purchase your printer through,
We purchased through Grimco. The printer comes with Onyx Thrive but it's not the full version. It is missing profiling and maybe some other stuff. It's a 111 version (1 printer, 1 cutter and 1 editor)

I was also under the impression it was going to be the full version but I confirmed with Onyx it is not. It's an Epson specific bundle and some features are stripped. I believe Onyx just put together an add after I called. My Grimco rep called me and said he was putting together a part number to add the Onyx color management tool and it was going to be $800.

InkHead

I will have to check again, I was told by my dealer that it was the full version.
You can ask but the 2 USB dongles (license and software install) are packaged inside the boxes of the Epson S80600L.

Here is a pic. You can see its epson specific. I believe when I installed I only saw the Epson S40/60/80 as the only printers you could install. Maybe a few others as I can't recall

20230126_110326.jpg

20230126_110629.jpg

Attachments

• 20230126_110326.jpg
    20230126_110326.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It is "full" 111 locked to epson. That's how Thrive used to come, without profiling included. Today Thrive is sold as 422 (and up) and only that comes with profiling inc.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Had no clue. First time using Onyx.

What's the version worth. I'm going to stick with Flexi
Flexi is the best.
I can open a file of 40 designs, open all, then process and send to print 36, 32" sheets of 56 pieces and send 8, 32" sheets to the holding menu in about 40 minutes, I do this while I'm sending yesterday's print jobs to the Graftecs for cutting then to be punched and shipped.
15 rolls of 54"× 100' every week.