• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New laminator question

Andy D

I have a new laminator, which I like a lot so far...
One issue I am having is the backing take-up.
I'm used to the backing paper take-up with the slick non-stick side to the inside.
I used a strip of hemming tape to tape to the core, but if I cut the lamination so that
I can mount & then reload lamination, is there a way to tape the backing to the slick side of
backing already on the roll?
I really don't want to change out cores every time.

Saturn

Aging Member
I don't do rolls over 30", but I find waste laminate makes the best "tape" to re-stick to that wax paper finish. Plain old Scotch tape will work better than most shop masking tapes too. Still not going to be load bearing, but hopefully enough friction to get things started.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If there's not that much on the roll I just pull it off and roll it up. If there's a lot, I'll stick a new core on it. It's in my head that loading layers of it up can potentially skew things, not sure if there's any truth to that or not but that's have I've always done it.

Andy D

If there's not that much on the roll I just pull it off and roll it up. If there's a lot, I'll stick a new core on it. It's in my head that loading layers of it up can potentially skew things, not sure if there's any truth to that or not but that's have I've always done it.
Yeah, that would be the preferred way in a shop where you can schedule all your mounting and printing at the same time, but they way this shop is, I would have to do that 3-4 times a day & take the trash to the dumpster 2-3 times a day.

Andy D

I have heard about the scoping, it really hasn't been an issue... Plus I like to donate the paper to a school, daycare or such place when I get enough on the core.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I keep a little bit of it in the shop for masking fresh paint when we cant use regular paper or plastic because it will stick. It's also good for stacking things that may stick together.

I have a new laminator, which I like a lot so far...
One issue I am having is the backing take-up.
I'm used to the backing paper take-up with the slick non-stick side to the inside.
I used a strip of hemming tape to tape to the core, but if I cut the lamination so that
I can mount & then reload lamination, is there a way to tape the backing to the slick side of
backing already on the roll?
I really don't want to change out cores every time.
I have a trick, I use scrap vinyl and cut it about an 1 wide and as long as you need to tape around the circumference of the core ( so that the vinyl tape meets - like a belt). I tape one on the left and right side and one in the middle. That way, when you tape the laminate backer paper, it has something to stick to. Make sense? It works for me 100% of the time and my laminate is always fed through perfectly smooth. I don't have to change the core out every I change laminates.