• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Toy

WildWestDesigns

New toy that was delivered on Friday.

I must say, I've been looking forward to this since I had first heard rumors that they were working on one and this one didn't disappoint me. Still has sticker shock, but all in all I'm happy with it. I use all my Cintiqs regularly, so to me they have been worth their weight in gold.

One thing that I was afraid of was Win 8 (this one has the Pro version), but I must say for a touchscreen Win 8 isn't a bad OS at all, however, I can tell that I wouldn't be happy with it on a desktop application. Too many functions and ways of doing things just wouldn't make sense (at least to me). If you are the least bit computer inclined, it shouldn't take too long to re adjust to how to work Win 8, but it makes it a whole lot easier if you use touch screens.

Right now it just has ES3, Gimp 2.8, Inkscape .48, and Ai CS4. I was worried about compatibility between Win 8 and CS 4, but so far, no issues. One thing that I was pleasantly surprised about was the fact that this didn't have the usual bloat ware added on to it (at least with mine). In fact, I had to actually activate and register the OS myself. I don't remember having to need to do that with "store bought" computers before, but it has been many years since I've bought one that was pre-built.

One thing that I do miss is the touch strips, although I understand why they weren't on there, I still miss them. When I digitize I do a lot of switching back and forth between 1:1 and 6:1.

All in all, so far I'm really liking it. Longevity of the tablet/laptop components would be my main concern now, but physically this thing appears to be very well built (of course, you would expect that for the price tag, but sometimes you still don't get it), so I don't have any outward indications that it wouldn't last unless I was just one of those unfortunate view to get a bad one out of the box.

Anyway, I just thought some of y'all might like to hear about it.

Attachments

• Cintiq.png
    Cintiq.png
    489.8 KB · Views: 52