• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie with a PrismJET printer and LXi Software

dwilliams29

Premium Subscriber
I am new to the vinyl print world, very green I'd say.

We purchased a PrismJet 54" and LXi software last July and have struggled with learning the software ever since. If I create the logo/images in LXI, I am able to remove the contour cuts I don't want to use. If I import a non Vector file, I can delete the contour cuts on the screen, but when load the print job in the Graphtec, it's like I didn't remove the marks. Another issue I've had is with printing the correct color of the image as apparently there is a huge difference between RGB and CMYK. I've changed my settings to the Pantone, as that was suppose to help, but it is impossible to get a Hunter Orange from CMYK in my experience. Or a royal/bright blue or a RED red. It's a lot of color creating with trial and error.

The reason we purchased the PrismJET was due to the test print that was done while we were onsite, but apparently that took a lot of "configuring" to get those bright/vibrant colors that I have simply not been able to achieve.

Has anyone had these issue and overcome it? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Most shops will print a large (48" or so wide x whatever) PMS swatch sample and put it up in their printer's area to more easily match colors- because just because it's supposed to be PMS032 (as an example), the printer doesn't hit that color and they end up adding/subtracting ink levels to get a better print.
Though there's plenty of argument about whether it's necessary or not, I have found the most effective way to get true, vibrant coloring is to get a spectrophotometer and profile the medias used, instead of relying on the pre-loaded profiles. Now, I understand this is not a minor purchase, but you'll get the results you're looking for. There will be a learning curve. THEN you print your color chart and matching gets a lot easier.

azprintguy

Most shops will print a large (48" or so wide x whatever) PMS swatch sample and put it up in their printer's area to more easily match colors- because just because it's supposed to be PMS032 (as an example), the printer doesn't hit that color and they end up adding/subtracting ink levels to get a better print.
Though there's plenty of argument about whether it's necessary or not, I have found the most effective way to get true, vibrant coloring is to get a spectrophotometer and profile the medias used, instead of relying on the pre-loaded profiles. Now, I understand this is not a minor purchase, but you'll get the results you're looking for. There will be a learning curve. THEN you print your color chart and matching gets a lot easier.
Can you recommend a spectrophotometer? I'm looking into buying one because I am getting more clients that need me to match Patone colors.

GaSouthpaw

Can you recommend a spectrophotometer? I'm looking into buying one because I am getting more clients that need me to match Patone colors.
The most commonly used one is the X-Rite brand. Since they make a number of different models, look into each of them before deciding- and it might be a good idea to ask the printer manufacturer or rep which one works best with their hardware.

GaSouthpaw

Thank you, I wasn't aware of spectrophoometers. They are quite pricey.
Yes, they involve some $$$ outlay- plus the time it takes to learn to use them properly, and to set up your profiles. In the long run, though, they will assure that you turn out quality work that can be redone when needed with no difference in color.