• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Noobie Questions about these "templates"

Pski89

so im going to be doing some vinyl work for a kart as in racing kart's..

and i see online there are templates for the body, however is that just for illustrative purposes? or does that actually translate into something i can use to actually cut vinyl.

does anyone know what i mean or what im asking?

other terms.. these "vehicle template" when do they provide a piece that is to scale that if you design on it.. then you can cut ? lol..

Val47

Sounds like you're wondering if the artwork is to scale? If you can, measure some thing on the vehicle, like the wheel base, then measure the the artwork in Illy or whatever you're using. Or, if that's listed in the template... Double check that it's right. I usually work at 1/20, but the math is easier at 1/10th scale.

untitled

Simple answer is no. Chances are any of the templates you see online won't be accurate to just trace out and use. There are some websites I think that will sell you the templates, but I don't remember who they are off hand. I also haven't used any of them so I don't know how good they are.

If these are like Tony Kart/CRG's etc... you most likely will need to do some measurements, trace out the shapes with transfer tape and then cut it, ,ay it out on the kart and see where you need to edit your design until you get to the shape you need. The other option is if you pull the current graphics off the kart you will then have a template to copy. The decals on the karts are usually really thick and will come off without stretching. That is assuming it has factory decals on it already. It really is a pain in the ass. I have done my own kart this way, but I still need to refine the design to cut it out with the thicker material instead of something I can stretch a bit if I have to in areas.

msenjur

i belive that carr templates are accurate. they are selling for sticker purpuses.

on other hand, vehicle templates are not that accurate to be used without checking...

unclebun

If you buy the templates, they are accurate and ready to use. For karts, bikes, quads, etc. the files are usually already exact size, 1:1. For automobiles they are usually scaled 1:20. I find the front and rear view drawings are not correct on automobile templates. They make the template look correct perspective-wise, which makes either the tailgate or window wrong size.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
so im going to be doing some vinyl work for a kart as in racing kart's..

and i see online there are templates for the body, however is that just for illustrative purposes? or does that actually translate into something i can use to actually cut vinyl.

does anyone know what i mean or what im asking?

other terms.. these "vehicle template" when do they provide a piece that is to scale that if you design on it.. then you can cut ? lol..
We size them out per vehicle. I did graphics for a bicycle. It was a main in my as and I had to print them twice. I would think your best bet is to go to the kart manufacturer for a schematic of their kart. They will have the sizing and may even have the body template. It's a racing kart? as in racing gokart?

Pski89

Sounds like you're wondering if the artwork is to scale? If you can, measure some thing on the vehicle, like the wheel base, then measure the the artwork in Illy or whatever you're using. Or, if that's listed in the template... Double check that it's right. I usually work at 1/20, but the math is easier at 1/10th scale.
Ahh I get it now! Thanks!