• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Only up for about 7 months.

showcase 66

So after dealing with the flourescent pink lady and then dealing with the husband, I was doing a window sign when the lady from the business next door came out to talk to me. She wanted to get my opinion on her sign and why it looked so different than it did when it was installed.

This sign was only put up 7 months ago and the chrome vinyl is burnt. I have seen chrome do this before but it has taken a longer time than this. I am assuming it is a cheap chrome. I hate Chrome anyway so I told her we would change it to a metallic silver instead of chrome.

According to the lady I was talking to, the guy who did the sign originally can not be found and it started changing about 2 months after it was up.

Attachments

• rg.jpg
    rg.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 73
  • star.jpg
    star.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 61
  • star 2.jpg
    star 2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 53

elsignshop

i have seen a lot of chrome do that, i havent found a chrome yet that last more than a year or longer. i get alot of customers that want chrome but i tell them first up front before i cut anything, i say " it looks good but dont last more than 5 months outdoors" some people still pay for it but some just back off.

chopper

there are two or maybe more grades of chrome some are rated for 3-5 out doors and others are for inside use only,
I have some jobs that I have done that are about 5 years old and look almost as good as the day they were installed...
//chopper

showcase 66

I am going to cut the acrylic just to keep the stars and some of the writing just to show people what it looks like after it has been in the sun for a while. It was on the south side of the building so it gets hit by the sun from sun up to sun down but still only 7 months.

ams

Wow that looks awful, must have been in direct sunlight for months.

Some home based sign makers like to use flashy stuff to make it look better and don't understand that the outdoor durability is so incredibly low.

chopper

Wow that looks awful, must have been in direct sunlight for months.

Some home based sign makers like to use flashy stuff to make it look better and don't understand that the outdoor durability is so incredibly low.
Hey,
just because we are home based does not mean we all use chrome and shinny bobbles to do our signs, this is home-based sign racism at it best ...man it's everywhere you go ...
//chopper

weaselboogie

Some of that Zero life chrome. A friend of mine used that on his truck knowing that its not meant for exterior, but he managed to get about a year out of it.

showcase 66

Hey,
just because we are home based does not mean we all use chrome and shinny bobbles to do our signs, this is home-based sign racism at it best ...man it's everywhere you go ...
//chopper

They didn't say all home based businesses. I am a home based business as well. Some do crappy work and some dont. I have had clients tell me that they wont use me because I work out of my home. They say they have been burned by people before and wont do it again. Those people are usually cheap anyway.

jiarby

BJ...

Read the fine print on the vinyl mfg's warranties and you will see that they exclude the SW US and/or Arizona specifically from long term warranties.

Flourescent & other specialty vinyls just don't hold up very well if they are not UV friendly.

Attachments

• SNAG-0341.jpg
    SNAG-0341.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 65

ams

Hey,
//chopper

You need to back off the attitude. While some home based sign companies are run by professionals and know what they are doing, some say "this looks neat!" and buys a china plotter, and cheapest vinyl possible, and starts making random stuff.

Hence the reason I said some, not all, not most, just some.

showcase 66

BJ...

Read the fine print on the vinyl mfg's warranties and you will see that they exclude the SW US and/or Arizona specifically from long term warranties.

Flourescent & other specialty vinyls just don't hold up very well if they are not UV friendly.

I have heard that from other sign guys before, but this is first time I have seen anything about it in writing.

chopper

You need to back off the attitude. While some home based sign companies are run by professionals and know what they are doing, some say "this looks neat!" and buys a china plotter, and cheapest vinyl possible, and starts making random stuff.

Hence the reason I said some, not all, not most, just some.
hey I was joking there boys and girls....
sorry you took it the wrong way I didn't think I needed to explain it ...
//chopper