• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Conserve media not conserving media

CanuckSigns

I'm running an Epson S80600 off of Onyx thrive 12.2, i have a job where I'm printing a bunch of individual small files on vinyl, mounting to 4x8 sheets of PVC and then routing them on my summa, In onyx I have the page size set to 48"x96" and when I import all the files, Onyx is wanting to print them on 4 sheets, even though there is more than enough room on sheet 1 to print the 1 graphic it wants to put on sheet 4, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

Anyone run into this before and know of a work around?

CanuckSigns

I've tried rotating them, the "allow rotate" and "best fit" buttons are also checked, should onyx not be able to figure this out and get the best yield? it's not a little bit of waste, sheet 1 os only about 60% used and it wants to put a single 11"x17" print on sheet 4...

JulieS

I can trick it sometimes by adjusting "space between copies." Make that distance a little smaller, maybe it will allow the 11x17 to fit. I WISH Onyx allowed more manual adjustment like VersaWorks does.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Are you sure that the graphic doesn't have a random point floating around somewhere else off the canvas or wherever making the size larger than it should be?
Adjust the spacing between prints maybe?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Maybe post a picture of what you're trying to do. I setup files like this all the time since everything I do is on a flatbed and designed to be printed on sheets and not a roll. Also, Onyx's "Allow Rotate" only works if your resolution is the same both ways "600x600" "720x720" etc. My flatbed runs at 540x1200, 630x1200, & 720x1200 so that option doesn't work. I'm not sure about the Epson though. You could also try and make custom page sizes if for some reason its not taking into account the part of the material your printer can't print?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Don’t use job editor, use layout tool. Besides dumbing down onyx, it allows for manual nesting of files
Interesting you should recommend this. I've Never found the layout tool useful. Tried it several times, but between the lag, and disappointment that it in no way made the task easy... I gave up.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Interesting you should recommend this. I've Never found the layout tool useful. Tried it several times, but between the lag, and disappointment that it in no way made the task easy... I gave up.
I agree. They layout tool is clunky and hasn't been updated in years.

greysquirrel

Apologies..switch that…I’m pretty sure it was past my bedtime when I typed that. Layout tool only good for manual nesting and variable data merge.

Boudica

Apologies..switch that…I’m pretty sure it was past my bedtime when I typed that. Layout tool only good for manual nesting and variable data merge.
I haven't tried the variable data merge through Onyx. But I have an upcoming project that I was thinking that it would be an ideal candidate for trying. (Parking meter decals) Do you have any insightful tips? ... For setting up the variable data, and nesting print/cut decals? Several different types (files) with varying quanties of each zone number (the variable).

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I haven't tried the variable data merge through Onyx. But I have an upcoming project that I was thinking that it would be an ideal candidate for trying. (Parking meter decals) Do you have any insightful tips? ... For setting up the variable data, and nesting print/cut decals? Several different types (files) with varying quanties of each zone number (the variable).

I'd be more inclined to do it in Illustrator or even InDesign.
I have documentation for both if you're in need.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I did variable data though illustrator. It was actually very easy. I found the tutorial on YouTube.
Basically you create a text. turn it into a variable data
then create an action.
Create your spreadsheet with data
import the data
run the action
and it's done.

Boudica

Thank you guys! I know how to do it in Illy. ;) I've done it many times now. Shout out to ikarasu .
But if it would be easier to do this label project in Onyx, I'd be curious enough to explore that route.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thank you guys! I know how to do it in Illy. ;) I've done it many times now. Shout out to ikarasu .
But if it would be easier to do this label project in Onyx, I'd be curious enough to explore that route.
i think you're limited in layout tool. i tired it on Tuesday till i gave up.
layout tool also doesn't give me cut marks for our Fotoba so useless to me.