• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx + Mimaki CJV + PerfCut/HalfCut = Not Possible?

Caleb Solano

Note: This is my first post (I was recommended this forum by someone on Facebook)

I have been using RasterLink for several years with our Mimaki CJV150 printers but have found myself frustrated with arbitrary file/job limits in RasterLink so I am looking into another RIP software. The crowd favorite seemed to be Onyx so I signed up for a trial of that, but I seem to have hit a snag.

Onyx does not seem to support the concept of "Perf-Cut or Half-Cut" (cutting through the backing sheet most of the time and periodically lowering to kiss pressure to create a "perforated" cut).

I could have also worked around this is Onyx supported the concept of "tools" or "cut conditions" as I have already created presets in the printer settings for what I need...but alas Onyx only seemed to support sending an specified Pressure/Speed/Offset to the cutter.

If I only need a PerfCut I believe I can tell Onyx to use the "current machine settings", but as soon as I need more than a single type of cut line for a given job, I am out of luck.

Thank you in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't use Onyx so this may not work but, have you tried using the spot color method of setting up the file? Basically you make a spot color and name it, "CutContour" and the RIP should interpret it as a cut line. Then you can make a spot color called, "CutContourHalf" and it will interpret it as a perf cut line. You can combine these two to get the effect you are looking for. It's worth a shot to try it out. It works that way in Rasterlink but the CutContour sport color is basically universal in the sign industry so I wouldn't be surprised if Onyx supported the CutContourHalf spot color as well.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So in cutserver -> modify the cutter -> tools(or what ever its called) you have to add another and select the perfcuttool for that. Name it CutContourPerf for example.
Now you need to make two different lines in your file that have the Cutcontour for normal cut and CutContourPerf spot colour for the perf cut.

Now you can send the job and it will have two tools. At least this is how it works with Summa.

Caleb Solano

Thank you Solventinkjet and balstestrat. I have been able to get Onyx to recognize all the lines "CutContour", "CutContourHalf", "CutContour2", etc, but it seems to lack both the ability to map "CutContour2" to "CUT2" in the machine, and Onyx's setting screens also lack the "H-Length", "C-Length", and "Half Pressure" settings that would be necessary to define a Perf/Half Cut

Caleb Solano

The cut settings screen looks like this

Attachments

• CutterSettings.png
    CutterSettings.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 198

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
With my method you setup the cut settings on the cutter itself and don't allow the software to control that. Then if you send the spot color file over, it should just use the settings for which ever tool you chose. But maybe Onyx doesn't support this.