• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 751 black problems

timstudio

On a regular base I see faults in rolls of Oracal 751 (mostly black gloss or matte.) I looks like manufacturing faults. It starts somewhere halfway a roll, repeats itself every other 1.5 meters for like 20 meters and than dissapears. Since it doesn't follow the roll diameter (it's not on the same spot every winding) it has to be something that occured before it was rolled up.

Am I the only one? I've seen it the last couple of years on several rolls. Normally I just throw away the useless cut but yesterday it screwed up 5 stripings which were like 3 meters long.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_160451499_HDR.png
    IMG_20210706_160451499_HDR.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 384

Inks

I recently sold 12 rolls of 751 Black all from the same batch, have not heard anything negative from the customer so far.
I will check with them to see if they have come across this issue. Thanks for the heads up!

Walt Netto

I, too, have this same pattern on all the rolls of Oracal 3165 RA. I usually print on the 30 inch roll and laminate with Orafol Oraguard 210 glossy. You really have to look to see it so I have not complained. Seriously - every roll! Same pattern.

timstudio

Any ideas what the cause of the problem can be? I mean, i've thrown away at least 3 rolls of material due to this problem. I'm waiting for a reaction from my supplier, but I tend to send the roll back next time I see this again (knowing the next 15 metres are useless)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I, too, have this same pattern on all the rolls of Oracal 3165 RA. I usually print on the 30 inch roll and laminate with Orafol Oraguard 210 glossy. You really have to look to see it so I have not complained. Seriously - every roll! Same pattern.
I've got it on 3165, 3551 and 3751 but on those it was indentations and would screw up the print, the cut vinyl was more like scuff marks. I sent the print material back and started using ij40 in place of 3551 because it seemed like every roll had it.

Mark Van Dillen

Switch to another brand. We do not use Oracal 751 anymore. It is a value priced HP that has caused warranty issues at about 5+ years and is a nightmare to remove. We have a lot of long term customers that expect their graphics to last 10 years. Arlon 2100 HP with 10 year+ durability has proven to have the best track record for us over 25 years.

d fleming

Two tricks before giving it the ol' heave ho. (1) Try wiping it with a dab of rapid remover and see what happens and (b) quick pass with a heat gun. If those don't work, send it back.

Patentagosse

I'm a long time 751 / 3751 user, 'never had a single issue, 'never ran across the mark you mentioned. Maybe I'm just lucky... but this 751 is my go to film for years (decades) and I do mostly semi tractors and other long term users' vehicles.

For the scuff marks on the picture, simply run the heatgun or torch over it and it should desapear +85%.

I've seen Avery film way worst than that... having 1/3 of the A9 15" wide completely matte while it's a glossy finish... 'had to heat it a good 15min once on the car to bring back the gloss.

Signed Out

Switch to another brand. We do not use Oracal 751 anymore. It is a value priced HP that has caused warranty issues at about 5+ years and is a nightmare to remove. We have a lot of long term customers that expect their graphics to last 10 years. Arlon 2100 HP with 10 year+ durability has proven to have the best track record for us over 25 years.
Really? We use tons of 751, never have an issue.

To the OP, we have seen this from time to time. Hit it with the torch and it goes right away. I've seen this on oracal, and 3m, don't use much anything else.

timstudio

I think I have found the problem. When cutting the vinyl is moving through the cutter (duhh) and slides over the top of the vinylroll thats at the back of the cutter. I think that is causing the scratches. It shows the most on dark (matte) vinyl, but happens actually on all colors. It's just not as noticable on lighter colors.