• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal not clear in their installation tips- need help

Speedsterbeast

Tomorrow, god willing, I'm going to be installing a 26" X 42" print on drywall with Oracal 3628 (low tac for wall murals etc.)

The print has a matte laminate on it.

I would like advice on the install. Oracal says to treat it like any other install, but I am clueless on wheather or not to use application tape. (I have not put any on yet.)

I know it says a dry installation only, but can I use a hinge method without tape. I am concerned that since it is low tac that the application tape will peel the whole print off before it releases on the laminate.

The print is contour cut ( I let it sit for two days before laminating, but I did not leave any white border- I hope it does not curl) and the print has eagle feathers on the edges, so it does not have a lot of "meat" to start grabbing the print by hand at the start.

Any advice on this would be greatly helpful.
I have a feeling I'll get a faster and more accurate response from the real experts here.

I hope I gave enough detail for an easy response(s)

Thanks in advance.

Tifosi

Sounds fun, you could transfer tape the job to hold the feather area together if you need to, just be sure to take it easy when pulling the tape off. Try rolling the tape back on itself as you remove it. Could you start from an area that does not have a contour? Maybe just lay some transfer tape over the edge with the contour cut and not the entire print...

I install a monthly low tack poster at a local store with no transfer tape and no laminate. I use a hinge method at the top 6" and then roll the print up from the bottom before I apply the rest of the print. This gives you a handle to work with.

The low tack stuff is fairly forgiving and with lamination it is even easier.

Speedsterbeast

Thanks so much for the advice.
I suppose I could hinge the top 6" of my print as well and use app. tape on the detailed edges only.

One more question.
Do you use a felt squegee or a teflon sleeve or something else?

-Cheers

Pat Whatley

I mounted four 36x48 prints like that in an office last week. Nothing to it. I agree, mask the ragged edges, or in that size just go ahead and mask the whole thing. Either way hinge it, stick it, and get paid. It's very forgiving stuff.

For mine I just masked the whole thing, hinged them at the bottom, then used my Big Squeegee to apply them. Swiped it down with a regular, cheap disposable squeegee, removed the tape, and moved on. I got out of the truck, found the guy to show me where to put them, installed them, cleaned up, and got the check all in less than 30 minutes. Easiest money I made all week.

Speedsterbeast

Pat, you're right. I will just mask the whole thing. I just tried a piece on my wall and the app tape came off cleanly without lifting the media. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Hopefully the laminated piece will behave the same way.

Glad to hear there is still at least one way to make easy money in this business.

Tifosi

With lamination it should be even easier.

If my stuff is not taped then I either use a stiff felt squeegee or a good 4" Golden Squeegee with a strip of loop side velcro over one edge.

Ken

Yeah, the larger piece of tape will help keep those wings from flyin' all about.
Cheers!
Ken

thewvsignguy

We have had nothing but problems with the 3628.

Never tried it laminated but it seems like it did not have enough adhesive to hold itself on the wall and because you contour cut to the edge with lam, it might be a even bigger headache. We were told to leave up to a 1/4" of White material around the edges, everything still fell off the walls. Seems like the only thing it did stick to was a mirror or glass.

I would not use transfer tape but a high tack transfer tape is what you need, the medium tack will not pick up or hold on to the matte finish.

I hope it works out for you but in the future try the Avery 2601 or 2611 (i know, I know Baaaaad Avery). We have contour cut the Avery to the edge and after 5 months on the wall the image is still there without the edge curling up.

just my .02