• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal vs. Arlon

bayviewsignworks

I've been using Oracal 3551 for our vehicle wraps and large trailer jobs. I like the Rapid Air. I also have Oracal 3641 on hand for the "cheap stuff". Does anyone know of an equivalent Arlon product? I'm seeing DPF 4560 GTX X-Scape but I'm not familiar with their product line. I'm talking calendered products here. Does anyone have a preferance as to cast vs. calandered? I also use the same manufacture laminate: Oracal and would use Arlon's lam if I switched.

Mainframe

I just priced out some Oracal & ended up with the 3m 180c, not that much more money & that stuff prints & handles like a dream, have you tried it? you can get a free sample from 3m, do a search on here & you can find a link

bayviewsignworks

Arlon vs. Oracal

I just looked in Fellers' book and the 3M 180c is three times as expensive as the Arlon 4560 GTX. Am I missing something?

steiny

As mainframe says, 3M's product is the industry standard for performance and application. That said, there are other less expensive alternatives such as the oracal 3551 (calendared) and Arlon 4560GTX (cast). What first must be looked at when comparing wrap materials is whether it is a cast (3M 180C) or calendared product and whether you are getting some type of air release in the material for when you squeegee it down to the vehicle surface. Most of my customers use 3M for their higher end jobs and vehicles that have complex contours but a few have gravitated over to the Mactac 2.1 Mil Cast product to take advantage of about a 15% savings over the 3M stuff.

As a rule of thumb, you should try to match up vinyls with the complexity of a job:

Cast for anything that includes contours, curves and channels

Calendared is usually OK for anything straight body or flat (including rivets).

Thought this from the Arlon website might help:
While DPF 4560 Series film may be used as a printed wrap material it must be recognized that calendered films are more susceptible to temporary ink/ solvent related softening and adhesion loss than are the more expensive and high performance cast materials. The condition of postprint softness etc. is only temporary however. Both film and adhesive recover after the solvents that carry digital inks are completely evaporated from the material.

Printing and Drying
When printing full color saturation the maximum amount of solvent (as the ink carrier) is being applied along with the ink. This solvent penetrates the vinyl and adhesive during and slightly after the print process, where it lingers until several hours of drying take place. Post print heaters will only dry the top layer of the print so it loses its tack and will not smear upon rolling and unrolling. To dry the ink, film and adhesive adequately requires a loosely wound roll or sheeted section to rest in a warm and dry environment for at least 12 hours. Often, when the humidity is high or the weather cool the time for drying must be extended another day or even two. To determine how well dried the product is one can pull back a section of printed film from the release liner and smell or stretch the film. If the smell of ink solvent remains strong or the film feels very soft allow the film to continue drying. Any additional heat and ventilation using warm fans will accelerate drying rate by at least double.

Charlie J

As mainframe says, 3M's product is the industry standard for performance and application. That said, there are other less expensive alternatives such as the oracal 3551 (calendared) and Arlon 4560GTX (cast).

I believe you are mistaken about arlon's 4560gtx. I pretty sure its a calendared film.

AllSquare Jason

Charlie is correct- Arlon 4560GTX IS a calendared film
Arlon 4560GTX - High Performance 5 year Calendared Film - great for partials, no compound curves. If using for vehicle, cast laminate recommended.

For wraps - use the cast Arlon 6000XRP (purchase as a kit w/ matching cast laminate to save $)

chopper

I have used the 6000XRP kit and I really like it
it is way better than the oracal that I have used
and cheaper
//chopper

LarryB

No Arlon for me. I thought I would save a few bucks over 3M with applications on flat panels and within 6 months I had 6 jobs come back. The vinyl was peeling back from the vehicle leaving grey adhesive. 3M for peace of mind.

speedmedia

No Arlon for me. I thought I would save a few bucks over 3M with applications on flat panels and within 6 months I had 6 jobs come back. The vinyl was peeling back from the vehicle leaving grey adhesive. 3M for peace of mind.

+1 had the same issue over and over. Only 3M and Oracal over here...

Thanks,
kurt

bayviewsignworks

Man, wish I'd seen this post before. Did you laminate too, and it still peeled? Well, we bought two rolls, plus the lam. We're doing a couple trailers. I think we're going back to Oracal anyway - get what you pay for. 3M is the best but Oracal is doing all we need it to do.

LarryB

Yes we used a calendared laminate and still had issues with the graphics peeling back. We've also used Oracal 3165RA rapid air with 210 overlaminate and have had great results.

Larry L

I just priced out some Oracal & ended up with the 3m 180c, not that much more money & that stuff prints & handles like a dream, have you tried it? you can get a free sample from 3m, do a search on here & you can find a link

Grimco has dropped the 180c down to $389 36" wide x 50 yds. :thumb:
works for me.

WhiteWrapper

Was it calendered arlon being stretched? I've had great experience w/ Arlon cast and calendered. Has great air egress. Sticks well the first try. Not very repositionable, very aggressive. Prefer it for boat wraps, they claim the air channel seals completely after post heat.